Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Scintillating Spireites Power Past Swindon

13 August 2016

Sponsored by

A brilliant attacking display gave the Spireites the perfect opening to their league campaign as they beat Swindon Town 3-1 at the Proact.

Captain Gary Liddle gave the Spireites the lead, following up after Ched Evans's freekick had been pushed onto the crossbar, with Jay O'Shea doubling the lead from the penalty spot on the stroke of half time.

Evans himself inked his name to the scoresheet after the break, though the Robins pulled one back late on when Darnell Furlong struck smartly in the area.

It was the Spireites’ captain who lead the first home attack when his run was met by O’Shea’s left-wing pass, Liddle swung in the cross but Evans couldn't quite leap high enough.

Jon Nolan played the resulting corner short to Dan Gardner, the winger cut inside and sent a cross straight onto the head of Evans, his effort hit the post and rolled across the line but Lawrence Vigouroux was there to pounce on the loose ball. 

Dion Donohue fooled the defence when on the left-hand side, the full-back looked up to cross but instead played it short to Evans, the forward twisted and struck it just past the post. 

Swindon’s first real chance of game fell to Luke Norris, the ball was played across the area but the striker’s weak shot ended up in the hands of Ryan Fulton. 

Looking to score from his second set-piece in as many league games, Evans struck a freekick that was pushed onto the bar, Vigouroux saved the follow up from Sam Hird but Liddle (23) was there to finally put it into the net with his head. 

In search of a instant second Gboly Ariyibi drove down the right and past the Robins full-back, his cross looked dangerous but no one was there to get onto the end of it, Swindon clearing for a corner.

Chesterfield took the corner short once more, Evans picked it up and struck from the wing, but his effort was cleared before it reached the 'keeper. 

Collecting the ball near the Swindon area, O’Shea took on two defenders and fired a shot at Vigouroux who palmed away for another corner.

With all but Hird up for corner, Jermaine Hylton countered for Swindon, he had a man to his left but went alone, only for Hird to tackle and clear.

Only Vigouroux was keeping the Spireites at bay, O’Shea's low cross found Gardner who turned his man and fired at the on-rushing keeper. 

Nolan’s corner went straight onto the head of the bandaged Ian Evatt but once again Chesterfield were denied by Swindon’s 'keeper. 

The home side were refusing to die down, Liddle drove a low ball into the box towards Gardner, but it couldn't make its way past the Swindon defence who sliced it away. 

Jon Nolan’s marauding run down the right-hand side left him facing just two Swindon defenders, the midfielder struck the ball goal-wards with Evans waiting to tap home, but the defence cleared.

The Spireites finally made it two on the brink of half time when Evans was clumsily taken down inside the box, O’Shea (45) stepped up to take the spot-kick and confidently struck it to the goalkeepers’ right. 

Buoyed by a half-time team talk, Swindon came out in search of a much-needed goal, but their cross was weak and Fulton charged out to catch. 

Substitute Jordan Stewart muscled possession from O’Shea and charged upfield, however the striker was soon surrounded by the Spireites defence and unable to win anything but a corner. 

Refusing to hand over possession, Ariyibi evaded a number of Swindon challenges on the byline, his low cross was straight into the path of Evans (64) who tapped into an open net. 

With under 15 minutes remaining Swindon were becoming desperate for a goal, Yaser Kasim received the ball from 25 yards and steadied himself but his shot sailed over the bar. 

Looking for an assist to compliment his goal, Evans won the ball and sped off upfield, his cross into the box was heading towards the returning Dan Jones but Swindon got there first. 

Chesterfield were denied a clean sheet with just minutes remaining when Michael Doughty’s ball into the area was met by the foot of Furlong who lashed it into the top of the net.

Suddenly in search of what would be an unlikely injury-time comeback, Swindon won a freekick on the edge of the area, Doughty took but it was save by the fingertips of Fulton. 

Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Donohue, Hird, Evatt, McGinn - Gardner (Jones 73'), Liddle (c), Nolan Ariyibi - O'Shea (Mitchell 82'), Evans (Dennis 90')

Subs not used: Allinson (gk), Raglan, Dimaio, Simons

Swindon Town: Vigouroux (gk) - Thomas, Thompson (C), Sendles-White, Barry (Stewart 57'), Doughty, Kasim, Rodgers, Ormonde-Ottewill, Young (Furlong 57'), Norris (Hylton 21')

Subs not used: Henry, Brophy, Iandolo, Goddard


Chesterfield: Liddle 21', O'Shea 45' (pen), Evans 64'

Swindon Town: Furlong 88'

Attendance: 5,378, (378 away fans)

Advertisement block