Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Evans Double Propels Spireites to Home Win

16 August 2016

Sponsored by

Two sensational Ched Evans goals in five second-half minutes sealed back-to-back home wins for the Spireites as they beat Walsall 2-0 at the Proact.

Goal-less at the break, Evans's quick-fire double in the final 15 minutes - the first of which a superb near-post drive - sent the Spireites clear as they claimed all three points for the second time in four days. 

Looking to build on Saturday’s 3-1 victory over Swindon Town in their opening home fixture of the season, the Spireites line-up was unchanged.

Walsall’s Andreas Makris tried an early speculative effort from distance which went high and wide.

Paul McGinn set Gboly Ariyibi free down the right and the winger advanced into the area before delivering a low cross which was put behind by a Walsall defender.

From the resulting corner, taken by Jay O’Shea, Gary Liddle headed wide.

The visitors went close to scoring on the break when Makris beat Ian Evatt and fired in a shot from 20 yards which came back off the bar.

In Chesterfield’s next attack, Ched Evans slipped the ball through to Ariybi who put a low shot straight at keeper Neil Etheridge.

Former Spireite Franck Moussa then tried a volley which was only just off-target and Kieron Morris had a shot blocked by Liddle.

The Spireites went close when Evans held off his marker and pulled the ball back to O’Shea whose low shot was well saved by Etheridge, down to his left.

Makris was again in the thick of the action, getting a low shot on target which was comfortably saved by Fulton.

During a decent spell of possession for the Spireites, Dan Gardner had a shot charged down.

Jason McCarthy ran at the defence and tried a low shot which trickled wide of Fulton’s left-hand post.

Ariyibi caused problems for the opposition again when he managed to find some space on the right-hand side of the area, but his shot went into the side-netting.

Jon Nolan was booked in the 37th minute after taking a tumble in the penalty area with referee Graham Salisbury ruling that he had ‘dived’.

Walsall again served notice of the attacking threat they posed with Morris able to get in a shot from 20 yards which drifted off-target.

Liddle got on the end of a corner from Nolan, but his header went over.

Chesterfield made a strong start to the second half and Evatt went close with a header from Gardner’s cross which was only a fraction wide. Ariyibi also had a shot blocked on the edge of the area.

Sam Hird made a strong appeal for a penalty when he went down in the area under a challenge but his claims were dismissed.

On the counter-attack, Morris got a low shot in but it was easily dealt with by Fulton.

Evans then tested Etheridge with a firm, low shot which the keeper was unable to hold and Ariyibi looked to get on the end of the rebound but the ball did not fall kindly for him and the chance was gone.

Fulton was equal to an effort from Morris again before a rasping shot from Evans forced Etheridge to make another save.

Walsall made a change with Moussa going off and Flo Cuvelier coming on in his place.

The Proact erupted in the 75th minute when Evans ran at the Walsall defence and beat Etheridge with an explosive finish, the ball going just inside the keeper’s left-hand post.

Evans found the net again four minutes later when his shot from the edge of the area deflected off a defender and looped over Etheridge.

Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Donohue, Evatt, Hird, McGinn - Gardner, Liddle (c), Nolan, Ariyibi - O'Shea, Evans (Simons 90')

Subs not used: Mitchell, Raglan, Dimaio, Dennis, Allinson (gk), Daly

Walsall: Etheridge (gk), Edwards, O'Connor (c), McCarthy, Dobson (Bakayoko 77'), Jackson, Morris (Kouhyar 85'), Kinsella, Preston, Makris, Moussa (Cuvelier 69')

Subs not used: MacGillivray (gk), Ginelley, Roberts, Mollett


Chesterfield: Evans 75', 79'

Attendance: 5,406 (478 away fans)

Advertisement block