Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites and Donny Battle to Draw

19 April 2016

Sponsored by

On a nervy spring night the Spireites battled back to a 1-1 draw with Doncaster Rovers as they took another half step towards survival.

The start mirrored the horror of Saturday as again a corner was poorly defended Tommy Rowe given the freedom of the six yard box to easily volley home, thankfully the Spireites were soon level after Ariyibi's well-taken finish on the rebound.

Manager Danny Wilson restored Jamal Campbell-Ryce to the starting line-up following the winger’s one-match ban. Conor Dimaio was the one to make way, dropping down to the bench.
Former Spireite Gary McSheffrey had an early shot blocked inside the area as the visitors got off to a promising start.
And McSheffrey had a hand in the opening goal after only six minutes, delivering a corner from the right which was met at the far post by Rowe, who drilled the ball hard and low into the net.
Chesterfield’s first attack of note saw Campbell-Ryce’s cross from the right find Lee Novak, but the striker failed to make proper contact and the ball glanced off his head.
Ollie Banks then fired in a shot from distance with real power, but the ball comfortably cleared the bar.
There was a worry for the Spireites when Richard Chaplet broke free on the right-hand side and advanced into the area, but there was no-one there to get on the end of his low cross.
Ariyibi equalised in the 18th minute, following up to score with a shot which crept just inside Remi Matthews’ right-hand post after the keeper parried Jay O’Shea’s effort.
Banks chipped just over and Ariyibi caused problems for the opposition defenders, beating a couple of them as he found a way through on the left-hand side of the area before seeing his low cross blocked.
McSheffrey made an unsuccessful penalty appeal after taking a tumble in the area following a challenge from Drew Talbot, with referee Jeremy Simpson waving away his claims.
The lively Campbell-Ryce saw his effort strike a defender while Ariyibi slipped a superb ball through to O’Shea whose low cross was just behind Novak.
Ariyibi, who was proving to be a real handful for the Doncaster defence, connected with a Campbell-Ryce cross but put his header over.
When Doncaster struggled to deal with a corner, Ariyibi was there again, but his shot was smothered by Matthews.
There was a huge let-off for the Spireites shortly before the interval when Chaplow’s cross picked out Andy Williams, but the striker’s close-range header went wide of Tommy Lee’s left-hand post. 
Doncaster’s James Coppinger put the ball in the net early in the second half but the referee had already blown for a foul.
Chesterfield failed to pose a real attacking threat for much of the second 45 minutes with Doncaster looking the more likely of the two teams to score a second. 
There was an opening for the Spireites when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the area, but O’Shea was only just over with a free-kick 
Andy Butler, who is always a threat at set-pieces, headed over from Coppinger’s corner.
Doncaster then threatened on the break through McSheffrey and Coppinger and Talbot came to Chesterfield’s rescue with a well-timed tackle inside the area.
Coppinger put a shot wide from outside the area before Wilson made a change, sending on Sylvan Ebanks-Blake in place of Campbell-Ryce.
Then Charlie Raglan was forced to hack the ball to safety as substitute Riccardo Calder threatened inside the area.
There was a scare for the Spireites in stoppage time when Sam Hird was penalised for pushing just outside the area and McSheffrey took the free-kick but his effort went over.
Nathan Tyson also headed over at the death.
Chesterfield: Lee (gk) - Talbot, Hird, Anderson, Raglan - Campbell-Ryce (Ebanks-Blake 74'), Banks, Liddle (c), O'Shea (Herd 90'), Ariyibi - Novak

Subs not used: Chapman (gk), Dimaio, Donohue, Simons, Slew

Doncaster Rovers: Matthews (gk) Alcock, Butler, Evina, Lund, McCullough, Rowe, Chaplow (Calder 82'), Coppinger (c), Williams (Tyson 82'), McSheffrey

Subs not used: Stuckmann (gk), Mandeville, Stewart, Middleton, Taylor-Sinclair

Chesterfield: Ariyibi 18'

Doncaster Rovers: Rowe 6'

Attendance: 6,461 (905 away fans)

Advertisement block