Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wigan Come Back to Defeat Chesterfield

5 September 2015

Sponsored by

Chesterfield suffered their first home defeat of the season as Wigan came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2, with all the goals coming in the second half.

Chesterfield suffered their first home defeat of the season as Wigan came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2, with all the goals coming in the second half.

The Spireites appeared to be heading for victory following a fine individual effort from Dan Gardner and an own goal from Leon Barnett.

But Barnett then scored at the right end and Davies equalised with a penalty before substitute Jordy Hiwula struck a last-minute winner to stun the home supporters.

The Spireites were without Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, who suffered a hamstring injury in training. They were, however, boosted by the surprise availability of Gboly Ariyibi, who was released from international duty with the USA U23 squad. Lee Novak also returned to the side after being forced to miss last week's game at Millwall.

Wigan included a trio of former Chesterfield players in their line-up: Davies, Richard O'Donnell and Dave Perkins.

An early slip from O'Donnell presented Ariyibi with the ball but he was unable to find Novak.

Novak then back-heeled to Gardner, who saw his effort charged down.

Chesterfield went close to taking a 14th minute lead when Gardner's free-kick was met by Ian Evatt whose header was well saved by O'Donnell. Liam O'Neil's follow-up was deflected over.

Chesterfield had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down when Gardner appeared to be tripped inside the area, but referee Mark Brown instead awarded a free-kick for the initial infringement.

Wigan's Haris Vuckic tried a 20-yard shot which was off-target.

Davies then found a way through in the area after being played in by Michael Jacobs, but Tommy Lee stood up well and made an important save.

Ollie Banks received a yellow card following a challenge on Perkins.

Davies threatened again with a low, driven free-kick which struck the defensive wall and Donervon Daniels, following up, shot narrowly wide.

Dean Saunders was forced to make a change in defence shortly before half-time when O'Neil limped off after receiving lengthy treatment. Charlie Raglan came on and took O'Neil's place at right-back.

Evatt missed the target with a header before Wigan again went close to scoring. Vuckic held off a couple of challenges before slipping the ball to Davies who found Jacobs unmarked and only a great save from Lee kept his shot out.

Novak then had a great chance to score after finding space inside the area but his shot hit the side netting.

Jay O'Shea was in the thick of the action soon after the re-start, putting a free-kick wide and then firing in a shot which took a deflection wide off Novak.

Novak, who had been struggling, was forced to go off just before the hour-mark with Armand Gnanduillet taking his place.

Chesterfield had a let-off when Lee saved from Perkins and Davies put the rebound off-target from close range.

Gardner's superb solo strike in the 62nd minute gave Chesterfield the lead, as he beat O'Donnell with an angled effort from around 30 yards out.

It was 2-0 six minutes later when Dan Jones sent a free-kick into the area and Barnett headed into his own net.

As Wigan tried to reduce the arrears, Davies twice shot on target, but Lee kept him at bay on both occasions.

Lee was finally beaten in the 81st minute by Barnett who chested the ball down  and rifled a volley through the crowded area and beyond the Spireites keeper.

Hiwula somehow managed to hit the bar after Lee saved another Davies effort before Davies (87) equalised from the penalty spot after Sam Hird fouled Chris McCann.

Wigan completed a remarkable comeback with a last-minute winner from Hiwula after the defence failed to get the ball clear, and despite a late

Chesterfield: Lee (gk) - Jones, Evatt, Hird, O'Neil (Raglan 42') - Morsy (c), Banks, Ariyibi (Humphreys 82'), O'Shea, Gardner - Novak (Gnanduillet 58')

Subs not used: Cairns (gk), Harrison, Donohue, Dieseruvwe

Wigan Athletic: O'Donnell (gk) - Daniels (McCann 60'), Pearce (c), Murray ( Kellett 80'), Barnett, Perkins, Power, Jacobs, James, Davies, Vuckic (Hiwula 60')

Subs not used: Jaaskelainen (gk), Odelusi, Chow, Flores


Chesterfield: Gardner 63' Barnett 67' (og)

Wigan Athletic: Barnett 81', Davies 87' (pen), Hiwula 89'

Attendance: 7,145 (1,009 away fans)

Advertisement block