Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Saunders: "On Monday morning it won't look so bad"

13 September 2015

Sponsored by

Chesterfield lost a two-goal lead for a second successive week as Dean Saunders' side were pegged back in extra time in a 3-3 draw with Colchester United.

The game's defining moment came after just 13 minutes when Drew Talbot received a straight red card after fouling Marvin Sordell - who appeared to be in a clear offside position - as the last man.

Goals from Dan Jones, Lee Novak and Sam Morsy gave the Spireites a 3-1 lead before two late Colchester goals eventually shared the spoils.

Speaking to PlayerHD, Saunders gave his opinion: "I don't know what to make of it really, it's just disappointing to have been 3-1 up again - two weeks running - but we've had Drew sent off early in the game and we've had ten men for about 85 minutes when you add in the extra times.

"The referee and the linesman between them have killed us, [Colchester striker Marvin Sordell] was offside for a start and it wasn't a red card so we've had ten men and done brilliantly.

"We got behind the ball, hung on and scored three great goals and to lose two goals in the last few minutes, I feel sorry for the players really."

After losing a two-goal lead in the 3-2 loss to Wigan Athletic last weekend, Saunders found it hard to shrug off his disappointment, despite his side's backs-to-the-wall performance.

"That's two weeks running we've let the points slip through our fingers," he said. "But when I look back at it - to get get a point with ten men against a decent team - on Monday morning it won't look so bad.

"Defending's not our strength, we're good going forwards and we've got some good attack-minded players. As the game went on we got more set on our defending and broke on them to score the goals.

"Then Byron Harrison has a great chance to make it four and it's game over if he scores, he's one-on-one with the 'keeper, he didn't score and they ended up getting a draw."

Advertisement block