Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield Fall to Blackpool Defeat

29 September 2015

Sponsored by

Blackpool added to Chesterfield's poor mood as Tangerine goals in each half saw the Seasiders win 2-0 at Bloomfield Road.

Mark Cullen rubbed salt into Spireites wounds after Saturday with a goal after just two minutes. Hesitant defending from a corner lead to a free shot from close range and the Tangerines had their lead.

The pain was doubled for the Spireites as after Liam O'Neil had a shot blocked right on the line at one end the Seasiders broke with pace, Brad Potts was played clear and he finished to lengthen the Blackpool lead.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake went close twice as the Spireites looked to recover but the visitors drew a blank on the Lancashire coast.

The game was only two minutes old when the hosts went ahead, a corner delivered by Henry Cameron wasn’t dealt with and it fell to Cullen who finished with ease.

Chesterfield responded well and controlled possession well with Ollie Banks and Dan Gardner in particular seeing a lot of the ball but were unable to break through.

Blackpool had a fantastic chance to double their lead in the 18th minute but goalscorer Cullen was denied superbly by Tommy Lee after being played through on goal.

Banks then had two half chances to level the game but he didn’t find the target with either a 25-yard drive or a header from inside the area that just drifted wide.

The hosts had two fantastic chances to further increase their lead just after the half hour mark, firstly Jack Redshaw couldn’t turn the ball in from inside the six-yard box after being picked out by Cullen. Then Potts burst into the box but Lee again excelled himself to keep the ball out.

The Spireites best chance of the half came through Chris Herd, who met a Dan Jones corner only to power his header wide of the goal.

The second half started with the Spireites again in control of the ball and possession but failing to test the Colin Doyle in the Blackpool net.

Captain Sam Morsy came close on the hour mark with a curling effort but unfortunately curled wide of the post.

The 68th minute proved to be the turning point in a half in which Chesterfield were dominating, a Gardner corner was met by Liam O’Neil who’s powerful header was cleared off the line by a defender, the ball found Ian Evatt but his shot was again blocked.

From the same passage of play Blackpool managed to get the ball clear and quickly went down the other end with the ball finding Potts inside the area who fired the ball past Lee.

With 15 minutes left in the game, substitute Armand Gnanduillet cut inside well into the area but his shot was deflected behind for a corner. From the resulting corner, Evatt couldn’t guide his far post header on target.

Ebanks-Blake had a good chance to pull a goal back for the Spireites after being played through on goal, but he slid his low shot wide of the post.

Chesterfield continued to dominate possession but the hosts’ defence stood firm to see the game through.

Blackpool: Doyle (gk) - Ferguson (c), McAlister, Robertson, Jones, Potts, Cullen (Thomas 73'), Redshaw 89') (Dunne, Cameron (Herron 65'), Boyce, Norris

Subs not used: Letheren, Paterson, Osayi-Saumuel, Cubero

Chesterfiled: Lee (gk) - Jones, Evatt, Hird, Herd (Talbot 65') - Morsy (c), O'Neil, Banks (Gnanduilet 46'), O'Shea, Gardner (Simons 73') - Ebanks-Blake

Subs not used: Cairns (gk), Humphreys, Raglan, Orrell


Blackpool: Cullen 2', Potts  67'

Advertisement block