Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Haunt Highbury for Away Fleetwood Win

31 October 2015

Sponsored by

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's first-half goal did the trick as the Spireites treated their following support to all the Halloween points as they won 1-0 away at Feetwood Town.

After an eight minute delay to the start of the match the away side grew into the contest and took the lead past the half hour mark when Ebanks-Blake volleyed home a rebound after Chris Herd's cross was headed onto the bar by a defender.

The second half saw Fleetwood push forward without scoring as the Spireites claimed their fifth away win of the season.

After a cagey start by both sides to the game, it was the home side who had the first effort on goal in the seventh minute. Midfielder Jack Sowerby collected the ball just outside the Spireites box and took aim but his low drive was comfortably by Tommy Lee.

Five minutes later, the Cod Army should have taken the lead. The ball was given away by the Spireites and it fell to Jamie Proctor who played through David Ball, but his shot was saved superbly by Lee. The rebound fell to Proctor but he blazed over the bar, when he should have done better.

As the half went on, Chesterfield began to dominate possession and create chances with Ebanks-Blake coming close twice. The first being in the 21st minute after fine work by Rai Simons down the right wing and he got to the by-line before cutting the ball back to Ebanks-Blake but Chris Maxwell in the Fleetwood goal made a fine save.

He again went close five minutes later when he met a fine Drew Talbot cross but he couldn’t generate sufficient power to beat Maxwell.

However, on the half hour mark Ebanks-Blake finally beat Maxwell. Patient, passing build up from the Spireites eventually led to Herd delivering a ball in which the defender could only touch onto the crossbar and it fell to Ebanks-Blake who finished o the volley with ease.

Chesterfield continued to control the game and saw the first half out comfortably.

The hosts started the second half on the front foot in search of an equaliser and thought they had got it four minutes after the restart when Proctor headed home from a cross but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Proctor again came close in the 54th minute but his header went over the bar and Bobby Grant had a curling effort from outside the box, but Lee saw it wide comfortably.

Chesterfield slowly began to gain control of the ball and just after the hour mark, Sam Hird powered his way into the box but his chipped effort drifted over the bar.

The Spireites stood firm as the Cod Army tried to find an equaliser and with just under 20 minutes to go and after patient build up play, substitute Joe Davis fired an effort from outside the box straight at Lee.

With ten minutes to go Talbot came close to securing the win for Chesterfield but his curling effort was just too high to trouble the keeper. Fleetwood continued to pile the pressure on but only had one effort at goal in the closing stages when Declan McManus headed over the bar without troubling Lee.

The Spireites saw the game out to record their fifth away win of the season, the first time this has been done by the end of October in fifteen years.

Fleetwood Town: Maxwell (gk) - McLaughlin (Davis  69'), Jonsson, Pond (c), Bell, Proctor, Grant, Sarcevic, Ball (McManus 66'), Sowerby (Haughton 74'), Teixeira

Subs not used: Jordan, Matt, Della-Varde, Gogic (gk)

Chesterfield: Lee - Talbot, Raglan, Evatt, Hird - Herd, Morsy (c), Gardner (Ariyibi 65'), O'Shea - Simons (Dieseruvwe 52'), Ebanks-Blake

Subs not used: Chapman (gk), O'Neil, Humphreys, Banks, Wood


Chesterfield: Ebanks-Blake 30'

Attendance: 3,107

Advertisement block