Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Fleetwood Flashback

30 October 2015

Sponsored by

Some past meetings with the Cod Army you'll remember, others will slip from the memory...I bet this one hasn't.

Chesterfield 2 -1 Fleetwood Town - May 3, 2014

While Fleetwood Town have only been a Football League club for three years Chesterfield have already had their fair share of battles with the Cod Army. The most memorable surely being the 2-1 victory at the Proact in May 2014 which saw the Spireites wrap up the League Two title for a record fourth time. 

Chesterfield fought back from going a goal down after just 13 minutes when Matty Blair scored for Fleetwood. However, goals from Sam Hird and Gary Roberts early in the second half earned the Spireites top spot after a gruelling League Two season for Paul Cook's men.

Going into the game Chesterfield knew they almost had the title sewn-up but a swing in goals could see either Scunthorpe United or Rochdale knick it away from them. The Spireites just had to better the results of the chasing pack to secure their second fourth tier title in four years.

The visitors also had a lot on the line as a victory for Fleetwood could see them gain automatic promotion, if other results went their way. 

It was Fleetwood who got off to the better start after some sloppy defending from the home side allowed Matty Blair to wriggle through and put the ball past Tommy Lee.

With both sides having so much on the line the game was an extremely tetchy affair with neither side pushing too many men forward in search of a goal. Fleetwood were content with their 1-0 lead but Chesterfield knew they needed at least a goal to seal the league title. 

However, it eventually came for the home side in the opening stages of the second half. A wonderfully-placed cross from Irish midfielder Jay O'Shea was met by Sam Hird who powered a header home. This meant Chesterfield regained top spot thanks to Hird's only goal of the season. 

But the Spireites weren't satisfied with a draw and wanted to end the season in a winning way, and shortly after Hird's header they took the lead. 

Marc Richards found himself inside the Fleetwood area with his back to goal before he managed to lay-off for Gary Roberts, the talismanic midfielder unleashed a wonderful curling effort which flew into the far left corner and put the home side ahead. 

The goal was met with ecstatic celebrations both in the stands and on the sidelines as a blur of orange from the substitute bibs swamped goalscorer Roberts. 

The celebrations could have been premature with over 35 minutes remaining but Chesterfield held on to secure the League Two title and head into League One on the back of a special victory at the Proact.

While the Spireites won the title and halted Fleetwood's automatic promotion hopes, the Cod Army did gain promotion via the play-offs and both sides have remained in League One since.

Advertisement block