Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Swindon Town Flashback

28 November 2015

Sponsored by

Ahead of the Spireites clash with Swindon Town this weekend in League One we take a look back at a memorable tie between the sides in 2003 at Saltergate.

Chesterfield and Swindon have only met on three occasions in the past seven years with two of these ties being last season in League One.

Chesterfield 3-0 Swindon Town, October 18, 2003

In 2003/04 Chesterfield and Swindon were both competing in the old Division Two and had been for the two seasons before. Chesterfield had finished a few spots above the relegation zone in the previous season whereas Swindon had earned a more comfortable 13th placed finish.

Going into the season the Spireites were looking to improve on and move up the table while Swindon were looking to possibly push for a play-off position. Going into the game Chesterfield were yet to win a game and had only mustered six points from 12 games. Swindon had started the season better but had lost their previous two games against Bristol City and Stockport.

However Chesterfield managed to turn their fortunes around and earned their first victory of the season and in comfortable fashion seeing off Swindon 3-0. Spireites striker Marvin Robinson managed to grab a brace inside the first 20 minutes before Jamie Cade rounded the victory off midway through the second half.

Chesterfield came out with a point to prove and were fighting for their first victory of the season. This desire was on show from the outset with the home side controlling the early stages of the game.

Their pressure paid off as they put themselves ahead just after ten minutes. Marvin Robinson tapped home from just five yards out after Swindon 'keeper Rhys Evans could only parry away Cade’s effort. It was an easy finish for Robinson but with the luck the Spireites had been having it was a welcome goal for the home side and fans.

It wasn’t long until they doubled their lead. Again Cade was central, sliding through a neatly-weighted through ball which Robinson got onto the end of. He took a touch before slotting across an onrushing Evans into the bottom left corner. Chesterfield were 2-0 up in the space of 20 minutes but they weren’t taking anything for granted as they had thrown away leads earlier in the season.

Swindon’s afternoon was getting worse by the minute as they had to substitute defender Adrian Viveash due to injury, bringing on Sebastien Ruster to replace him. The Robins only had one serious chance in the first half and it fell to forward Deon Burton however he poked his effort wide and Chesterfield maintained their 2-0 lead going into the break.

The home side’s composure was shining through as they managed to keep hold of their lead through the opening minutes of the first half. In fact manager Roy McFarland wanted to finish the game off bringing on some fresh attacking threats in midfield with the introduction of Chris Brandon and Mark Hudson.

As the game went on Swindon started to throw men forward in the look for a goal that could spark a fightback however this left them open at the back. With this in mind defender Gus Uhlenbeek flew down the flank before delivering a low cross into the box. Forward Cade was there to slot the ball home and wrap up the victory for the home side.

The victory helped move Chesterfield off bottom spot for the first time in seven games however it would be a tough season for the Spireites, though they did manage to stay up on the final day of the season with a victory over Luton Town. Swindon went on to finish 10th but never really mounted a play-off charge.

Advertisement block