Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Swindon Four and Easy as Spireites Washed Away

28 November 2015

Sponsored by

Chesterfield's form only worsened as they slumped to a 4-0 home Swindon Town defeat at a wet Proact Stadium.

The game got off to the worst possible start for the Spireites as within three minutes their Wiltshire opponents opened the scoring when Nicky Ajose made a goal-scoring connection from a cross, then on 14 minutes Louis Thompson doubled the Swindon lead, beating Tommy Lee at his near post.

Three minutes after the break and Swindon again scored, this time Jon Obika broke and with too much space drove low across Lee and into the net. A fourth followed ten minutes from time as Ajose grabbed a second after he found too much space in the home box and fired home.

The Robins came out of the traps quickly and after Ben Gladwin had a shot blocked and the resulting corner was scrambled clear the visitors took the lead.

With marking not tight enough, livewire striker Ajose was able to get between Spireites defenders to finish from close range.

It took 12 minutes for the home side to create their first opening and it was a good one as Rai Simons pick-pocketed his man closed down on goal before laying the ball off to Ollie Banks, the recalled midfielder struck first time but a covering defender did well to block.

However, two minutes later and Swindon were two goals to the good. Thompson had space in the box and was able to shoot, his effort going through the body of Lee, who would be disappointed to get beaten at his near post.

Midway through the half and Jay O'Shea glanced a header just wide of Lawrence Vigouroux's far post, as the rain continued to pour down at the Proact.

Dan Jones swung in a ball that Banks was just unable to reach at the back post before the Spireites left-back missed a great chance as he volleyed wide from four yards out eight minutes before the break.

The home pressure building, the closest the Spireites would get before the break came when O'Shea hit a rasping shot from just outside the box, the crossbar coming to the Robins' rescue as the home side pushed to halve the deficit. 

The home fans craved an early goal in the second half but the game's third goal instead went the way of Swindon as Jordan Obika strolled towards goal and struck a low drive into the far corner of the net.

Jones's afternoon came to a premature end as what appeared to be an ankle injury saw him leave the game on a stretcher, Chris Herd coming on as his replacement.

After a brilliant Charlie Raglan challenge stopped Ajose getting away a clear shot, Simons then saw a shot deflect wide at the other end.

The home side desperately looked for a foothold and substitute Mani Dieseruvwe had a glorious chance as he pounced of Simons' terrific cross, but Vigouroux somehow blocked the close-range effort.

Obika should have netted a Swindon fourth as he fluffed his lines from eight yards but on 80 minutes the away side did have a fourth as Ajose struck his second after finding space in the box.

Two late Lee saves kept the score at 4-0, but the Spireites suffered a fourth successive defeat in the driving North Derbyshire rain.

Chesterfield: Lee (gk) - Jones (Herd 56'), Evatt, Raglan, O'Neil - Banks, Morsy (c), O'Shea, Ariyibi - Simons, Novak (Dieseruvwe 51')

Subs not used: Chapman (gk), Hird, Ebanks-Blake, Gardner, Wood

Swindon Town: Vigouroux, Ormonde-Ottewill (Brophy 82'), Robert (Balmy 86'), Turnbull, Ajose, Obika, Rodgers, Barry, Gladwin, Thompson (Iandolo 77'), El-Abd

Subs not used: Hylton, Belford, Ojamaa, Stewart


Swindon Town: Ajose 3' 80', Thompson 14', Obika 48'

Attendance: 5,540 (255 away fans)

Advertisement block