Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield Win to Avoid FC United Banana Skin

9 November 2015

Sponsored by

Goals from Gboly Ariyibi, Lee Novak, Rai Simons and Ollie Banks gave Chesterfield a 4-1 win over FC United of Manchester to secure an FA Cup second round tie at home to Walsall.

Manager Dean Saunders handed a Spireites debut to on-loan defender Richard Wood and recalled Ariyibi, Novak and Dan Jones to the starting line-up.

Chesterfield carved out the first attack of note in the opening few minutes when Ariyibi sent over a cross in search of Ebanks-Blake, but Liam Brownhill was on hand to cut out the danger.

The Spireites took a seventh minute lead when Ebanks-Blake got past Christopher Lynch on the left-hand side of the area, played the ball across the face of goal and Ariyibi fired into the net at the far post.

Novak extended Chesterfield's lead in the 12th minute, with an impressive first-time finish at the near post from Jones' left-wing cross after the full-back was set free by Jay O'Shea.

As the hosts looked to make a quick response, Tom Greaves tried a shot on the turn which lacked the power to test Tommy Lee.

A long-range effort from Sam Sheridan posed a greater threat to the Chesterfield goal as Lee had to get down to his right to save and then claim the ball at the second attempt.

Sam Morsy made a driving run into the area and elected to shoot instead of laying the ball off to a team-mate, with his effort going narrowly wide of David Carnell's right-hand post.

Rory Fallon then saw his shot take a deflection and Lee got down to claim the ball. Drew Talbot's cross found Novak whose flicked header at the near post was gathered by Carnell.

In the next attack, Novak then passed to Ebanks-Blake who was forced wide inside the area before shooting over.

Lee was called into action again just before the break, keeping out a 20-yard shot from Fallon. The hosts unsuccessfully appealed for a penalty soon after the re-start, claiming that Ian Evatt had handled the ball inside the area.

O'Shea then found Ebanks-Blake inside the area, but the striker was closed down and his shot was blocked.

There was another scare for the Spireites when Wood headed just wide of his own goal. Dean Stott then put a drive off-target and Lynch's header was easily gathered by Lee.

Saunders made two substitutions in quick succession with Banks and Simons replacing Chris Herd and Ebanks-Blake.

It was 3-0 in the 68th minute when Morsy's superb pass picked out Simons' run through the centre and the Bermudan stabbed the ball past the advancing Carnell.

Saunders made a final substitution midway through the second half, taking off Morsy and sending on Charlie Raglan to face his former team.

Novak headed over and O'Shea had a shot saved. When Greaves threatened to get the better of Evatt, the covering Wood nipped in to make a smart interception.

Banks (87) added a fourth goal with a 20-yard strike which beat Carnell when the keeper looked to have it covered.

Luke Ashworth scored a consolation goal for the hosts in stoppage time, meeting a corner with a far post header.

FC United of Manchester: Carnell (gk), Brownhill, Thurston, Scott, Lynch, Ashworth, Fallon (Patterson 46'), Sheridan, Greaves, Wright (c), Lindfield (Daniels 46')

Subs not used: Wolfenden, Brown, Byrne, Bayunu, Madeley

Chesterfield: Lee (gk) - Jones, Evatt, Wood, Talbot - Herd (Banks 54'), Morsy (c), O'Shea, Ariyibi - Novak, Ebanks-Blake (Simons 55')

Subs not used: Cairns (gk), Dieseruvwe, Raglan, Hird, O'Neil


FC United of Manchester: Ashworth 90'

Chesterfield: Ariyibi 7', Novak 12', Simons 68', Banks 87'

Attendance: 2,916

Advertisement block