Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield Beat Gillingham

17 March 2015

Sponsored by

The Spireites bounced back from Saturday's defeat against Coventry with Sam Clucas scoring twice and Jay O'Shea also on target in a 3-0 victory at home to Gillingham.

Manager Paul Cook made two changes to his starting line-up. Drew Talbot, recalled from his loan spell at Plymouth Argyle, took over from Dan Jones at left-back while Gboly Ariyibi came in on the right wing with Clucas switched up front following Caolan Lavery's return to Sheffield Wednesday.

The Spireites made the perfect start with a third minute goal when Clucas received the ball from Sam Hird on the right wing and cut inside before beating Stuart Nelson with a fine finish across the keeper.

Chesterfield increased their lead in the 12th minute when Clucas found Gary Roberts, who crossed low from the left and O'Shea, running in, evaded his marker and slotted the ball past Nelson.

Gillingham's first effort of note came when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the 'D' and Joe Martin put his effort narrowly wide of Tommy Lee's right-hand post.

The visitors threatened again shortly afterwards when John Marquis' downward header forced a fine save from Lee down to his right.

O'Shea shot just wide from the left-hand side of the area after Ariyibi's cross, aimed at Roberts, resulted in the ball landing at the unmarked Irishman's feet.

The lively O'Shea was in the thick of the action again, firing in a 20-yard effort which was comfortably saved by Nelson.

Gillingham went close with another free-kick, this time from Bradley Dack, who put his effort just over.

Following a quiet start to the second half, Gillingham's Cody McDonald's put a glancing header wide.

Tendayi Darikwa then had an angled shot from inside the area blocked by a defender.

Gills skipper Doug Loft was the next to try his luck, seizing on a clearance from Jimmy Ryan and firing in a low drive which was straight at Lee.

Clucas tried a spectacular volley which was blocked and then Ariyibi set up Ollie Banks who put a rising shot wide of Nelson's left-hand post.

Ariyibi ran at the Gills defence on the left-hand side of the area before laying the ball off to O'Shea, who fired well over.

Clucas added his second goal of the game just a couple of minutes from time, receiving the ball from Roberts before firing past Nelson for another confident finish.

In search of his hat-trick, Clucas tried a shot from an acute angle which was no problem for Nelson.

Chesterfield: Lee, Darikwa, Hird, Evatt, Talbot, Ryan, Banks (Dieseruvwe 90), O'Shea, Roberts (Onovwigun 90), Ariyibi (Humphreys 83), Clucas.
Unused substitutes: Chapman, Carter, Jones, Raglan.

Gillingham: Nelson, Martin (Hessenthaler 30), Egan, Ehmer, Loft, Marquis (Norris 72), McDonald, Morris, Muldoon (McGlashan 55), Dack, Hoyte.
Unused substitutes: Legge, Galbraith, Morris, Dickenson.

Chesterfield goals: Clucas 3, 88, O'Shea 12.

Attendance: 4,804 (179 away fans)

Advertisement block