Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Staveley Defeat a Chesterfield XI at Inkersall Road

24 July 2015

Sponsored by

A Spireites XI made up mainly of youth team players lost 2-1 in a pre-season friendly at Staveley MWFC.

On a wet evening in North Derbyshire, Chesterfield took the lead through Derek Daly, but two goals before half time from Steve Carty and Keiran Watson settled the contest in the home side's favour.

The mainly youth team side was supplemented by first team squad members Laurence Maguire, Jake Beesley and Rai Simons at the youth team's home for the forthcoming season.

After an even opening, Watson had the game's first big chance for Staveley. The striker found space well to meet a beautiful cross but his header cleared the crosbar by a foot with Spireites 'keeper Dylan Parkin beaten.

Fifteen minutes in and the Spireites' best chance came to Beesley, rising well to head a Maguire cross the striker was unable to generate power and his sliding downward header was easily saved by Staveley 'keeper Chris Butt.

With the Spireites growing into the game they took the lead when Daly broke into the box, flashed in a shot that deflected kindly and into the far corner of the net.

However, the lead lasted barely 90 seconds as an attacking Staveley freekick was spilled by Parkin in the Chesterfield goal and swept up by Carty who was able to head home from close range.

A minute before the break and Staveley took the lead. A quick break saw Kurtis Morley in the clear and round the 'keeper, a brave Luke Randle block thwarted Morley, but the ball fell kindly for Watson who slotted into the empty net from 6 yards, sending Staveley in ahead at the interval.

After the break and the Spireites went close to levelling on 59 minutes when a terrific flowing move saw Rai Simons charge at the Staveley backline, the ball broke for a teammate to cross and Randle played back to Daly, but the Irishman fired over from the edge of the box.

Carty had the chance to add to his first half goal for Staveley, but flicked a header over the bar, before Beesley intercepted for the away side, was one-on-one with the last Staveley defender but his unselfishness was betrayed by a poor pass towards Simons and the 'keeper was able to come out and collect.

In front of a crowd of 527, Chesterfield set their sights on a second goal in a ten-minute attacking spell, but with Staveley defending stoutly the visitors were struggling to make a second breakthrough.

The golden chance the Spireites were dreaming of finally fell to substitute Joe Rowley ten minutes from time, but after reading a goal-bound header well the midfielder fired a close-range volley over with the net waiting to bulge.

Staveley substitute Mohammed Tijani had a good chance to confirm the host's win late on, but after some strong approach play his shot was too cose to Parkin who stood tall and blocked the effort away.

Curtis Morrison headed wide for the visitors in injury time, but the game ended in defeat for the Spireites in a wet night of football in Staveley.

Chesterfield: Parkin (gk) - Hudson, Randle, Brownhill (Milner 61'), Jarrold, Holmes, Maguire, Daswell, Beesley (Rowley 62'), Simons (German 71), Daly (Morrison 67')

Subs not used: Lynam, Taylor


Staveley MWFC: Carty 30', Watson 44'

Chesterfield: Daly 28'

Attendance: 527

Advertisement block