Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield Out of Capital One Cup After Extra Time

11 August 2015

Sponsored by

Substitute Jabo Ibehre did for Chesterfield as his two goals gave Carlisle United a 3-1 extra time win over the Spirietes in the first round of the Capital One Cup.

After a first half where the Spirietes started well - hitting the post through Dan Gardner - the Cumbrians looked the sharper, only some strong saves from Spireites 'keeper Tommy Lee keeping the scores level at the break.

Chances fell at both ends in the second half before the hosts opened the scoring after 75 minutes when substitute Ibehre rose and powerfully headed home a right-wing cross to put Carlisle ahead.

With five minutes left and the Spireites struggling to make an impression they levelled when Jake Orrell found fellow substitute Mani Dieseruvwe who blasted home confidently his first senior Spireites goal to level matters, meaning extra time was required.

The Spirietes' hero became a villian 12 seconds into extra time as Dieseruvwe was issued a straight red card for what appeared to be judged an elbow by referee Stockbridge.

Just after half time in extra time and United regained their lead when that man Ibehre again connected with a cross, this time volleying with power past Lee from eight yards.

With seconds remaining Kevin Osei - another substitute - rounded off the result and confirmed Carlisle United's place in the second round with a classy finish when set through on goal.

Chesterfield came out of the blocks fastest with Gboly Ariyibi an early threat which resulted in a Spireites corner in the opening minute which Carlisle managed to scramble away.

This bright start continued in the opening six minutes as Chesterfield created three great opportunities to take the lead. First, Armand Gnanduillet fired against the post and moments later a second chance fell to captain Sam Morsy who forced Carlisle 'keeper Mark Gillespie into an excellent save to his left.

The last of the trio of efforts on goal for the Spireites saw Gnanduillet round the keeper only to see him goalbound effort blocked. At this stage Chesterfield dominated the home side and Dan Jones and Ariyibi were combining to great effect.

With ten minutes on the clock Carlisle made their first real threat on the Chesterfield half with Patrick Brough and Steven Rigg combining. Indeed it was this pair who fashioned United’s first chance with Rigg’s header going wide and marked a change in momentum.

Just three minutes later Lee had to be at his best to save from Rigg and then almost immediately stop a Alexander McQueen attempt on goal.

As the game entered the midway point of the first half the pace settled with Gnanduillet and Ariyibi continuing to work hard upfront, prompted by Gardner and Jones. Carlisle though grew in confidence as the half progressed and Chesterfield were grateful to their 'keeper Lee to keep out a curling effort from Angelo Balanta on 36 minutes and from a Grainger free kick seven minutes later, leaping high to his right to palm over the strike.

As half time approached Lee was called into action once more, having to punch away a sinking freekick effort from Grainger with Ian Evatt booked for the initial challenge.

As in the first half, Chesterfield started strongly after the interval and Gillespie had to be quick out to stop Ariyibi as he bore down on goal. Gardner also caused the home team problems from midfield in the opening exchanges. However, in a repeat of the opening period, Carlisle came into the game and gained in confidence.

With McQueen dangerous from the wing, Chesterfield were grateful to see a header from Charlie Raglan drift narrowly wide of their own goal.

As the hour mark passed, Carlisle made a double substitution. Charlie Wyke was replaced by Ibehre and Brough made way for Osei.

The change proved to be inspired for Carlisle. Chesterfield continued to press without creating any real opportunities although Jay O’Shea worked hard to drive the Spireites forward at every opportunity.

The opening goal came on 75 minutes as a cross whipped in from the right-hand side was flicked home by Carlisle substitute Ibhere inside Lee’s left-hand post.

With time running out and ten minutes left, Ariyibi was taken off and Jake Orrell introduced to the action. And it was a case of the substitutes who combined to get the Spireites back in the game with six minutes of normal time left.

Orrell worked hard to retain possession and his intelligent ball to his right was swept home by Dieseruvwe for his first senior goal.

Chesterfield finished in the ascendancy but couldn’t fashion a chance as 90 minutes passed, including the four minutes of time added on.

Extra time commenced in explosive fashion as goalscorer Dieseruvwe was sent off with 12 seconds for what appeared to be an elbow.

Carlisle looked to take advantage of their numerical advantage, as two minutes into extra time Hery drove at the Chesterfield back four before his shot which went high and wide.

In order to provide some fresh legs, the Spireites made their last change five minutes into extra time when Banks was replaced by Michael Onovwigun.

However, chances proved to be at a premium in the remainder of the half with Osei having a strike for Carlisle straight at Lee, whilst Orrell worked hard up front on his own for the Spireites.

Two minutes were added on at the end of the first period of extra time and Osei had the only effort which was easily gathered by Lee during that period for the home side.

Osei proved to be a threat at the start of the second period of extra time with an early a shot from within the box which went comfortably wide and latched onto a through ball which Lee saved bravely at the feet of the Carlisle striker.

This early pressure was the precursor to the Carlisle winner as within three minutes of the restart Grainger crossed and Ibehre hooked in his second of the night.

The Spireites responded almost immediately as O’Shea tried to answer for Chesterfield with a shot deflected for a corner just a minute later.

Shortly after Gardner had a free kick opportunity but it was high and wide. Lee, who was Chesterfield’s man of the match, was in the wars when he dived at the feet of Rigg who earned a booking for his late lunge at the 'keeper.

Despite being a man down, the Spireites continued to create half chances as Gardner miskicked from a good position and Morsy had a curling effort that was off target.

Osei continued to be a threat for United and with the last two minutes of time added on nearly up broke down the left and curled into the top corner past the unfortunate Lee and condemn to Chesterfield to a 3-1 defeat and Capital One Cup exit - their ninth straight first round league cup exit.

Carlisle United: Gillespie (gk), Grainger (c), Raynes, Atkinson (Miller 74'), Wyke (Ibehre 65'), Hery, Brough (Osei 65'), Dicker, Balanta, Rigg, McQueen

Subs: Sweeney, Hanford (gk), Archibald-Henville, Thompson

Chesterfield: Lee (gk), Jones, Hird, Evatt, Raglan, Ariyibi (Orrell 81'), Morsy, Banks (Onovwigun 95'), Gardner, O'Shea, Gnanduillet (Dieseruvwe 72')

Subs: Humphreys, Harrison, Donohue, Cairns (gk)


Carlisle United: Ibehre 75', 108', Osei 120'

Chesterfield: Dieseruvwe 85'

Attendance: 2,950

Advertisement block