Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield On Form to Tame the Shrews

18 August 2015

Sponsored by

Chesterfield controlled the match against League One new boys Shrewsbury Town, every inch good value for their 2-1 away victory at New Meadow.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake gave the Spireites a deserved lead just after half time when his well-placed shot out-foxed Jayson Leutwiler in the Shrews goal and rustled the net at the back post.

Sam Morsy doubled the visiting advantage when he exchanged passes with Lee Novak and drilled home from ten yards in front of the 344 away fans, the goals enough for an excellent away day for the Spireites, despite Mat Sadler's late consolation for the Shrews.

The Spireites arrived at the Greenhouse Meadow with a good record, just one defeat since the Shrews moved to their new stadium; they were hoping that their historical edge helps them bounce back from the weekend defeat at Bramall Lane where the result had not reflected the balance of play.

Dean Saunders had no hesitation in including weekend signing, Angel It was a perfect late summer evening for football and the Spireites, in all red, started strongly.

However, there was little threat from either side in the opening exchanges. Martinez, into the starting line-up with Ollie Banks stepping aside.

The first effort of any note came from Shrewsbury's Martin Woods after fourteen minutes; he tried his luck form 35 yards on the left, but his shot was wayward and high.

Moments later the lively Drew Talbot burst down the right flank and launched a testing ball in, with home captain Liam Lawrence, forced to volley clear.

The Spireites could and should broken the deadlock with the first clear cut chance of the game after 21 minutes. A great Daniel Jones ball in from the left found the head of Sylvan Ebanks-Blake inside the six yard box, however he failed to connect cleanly and headed over.

Dan Jones picked up the game's first yellow card after a clumsy 26th minute touchline challenge on Ryan Woods, the free kick was claimed easily by Tommy Lee.

After 30 minutes Chesterfield failed to capitalise after a very promising build-up. Jay O'Shea, Lee Novak and Dan Gardner combined well in the middle but nobody was at the far post to take advantage of Gardener's teasing ball in.

The Spireites gained their first flag kick after 37 minutes and almost made it count, Gardener's ball in found Evatt at the far post who, in turn, found Ebanks-Blake almost on the goal-line but his toe poke was held well.

The Spireites maintained their pressure as another curling Jones ball in from the left found Gardener who fired wide of the left upright.

With just two minutes to the interval Lee Novak will wonder how he didn't put his side ahead after a great O'Shea ball found him perfectly placed on the right, but he fired wastefully wide.

The Spireites resumed strongly and took the lead four minutes into the second period. O'Shea, on the left, found Ebanks-Blake in a central position ten yards out, and his shot probably caught the home keeper unsighted and sneaked home to everyone in the away end's delight.

O'Shea was having a stormer, his ball to Novak provided the ammunition for another ball in that failed to find a taker.

Moments later it looked like he had set up the Spireites' second; O'Shea's ball to the centrally-placed Gardener allowed him to jink and fire only to see his effort clatter the cross bar and come down on the line.

After 63 minutes it was 2-0 to the Spirietes. Sam Morsy went from provider to scorer as he fed Novak wide on the right, his ball in saw Morsy run on and blast home.

Gboly Ariyibi replaced Ebanks-Blake after 67 minutes as Dean Saunders asked Novak to lead the attack.

After 73 minutes Shrewsbury's Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro tried a speculative effort from 20 yards, though it was saved comfortably by the alert Lee.

Moments later Woods tried from distance but his effort flashed wide. Shrewsbury, almost in desperation, tried to step up a gear but all they had to show was another wide effort from Woods, followed moments later by another Akpa Akpro blast past the left upright.

The Spireites were unlucky when a perfectly weighted ball forward from Morsy looked to have set Novak clear, though the linesman thought otherwise.

It was almost three as Gnanduillet picked up what looked to be the keeper's ball and took it to the bye-line, but his angled effort was saved by a mixture of the upright and Matt Tootle's clearance.

The ball broke and Shrewsbury pulled a goal back out of nothing. Mat Sadler saw no options so decided to have a go himself; his long range screamer found the net from 30 yards and gave the home side hope.

There was four minutes additional time to be navigated and the Spireites saw it out comfortably and ended worthy and decisive winners.

Shrewsbury Town: Leutwiler (gk), Tootle, Sadler, Woods, Grandison, Lawrence (c) (Brown 52'), Woods (Akpa Akpro 52'), Collins, Ellis, Ogogo, Barnett (McAlinden 78')

Subs not used: Halstead, Whalley, Clark, Smith

Chesterfield: Lee (gk) - Jones, Evatt, Hird, Talbot - Gardner, (Gnanduillet 84') Angel, Morsy (c), O'Shea - Novak, Ebanks-Blake (Ariyibi 68')

Subs not used: Cairns (gk), Humphreys, Raglan, Harrison, Banks


Shrewsbury Town: Sadler 88'

Chesterfield: Ebanks-Blake 49', Morsy 64'

Attendance: 4,935 (344 away fans)

Advertisement block