Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

O'Shea: "All season we've done that"

5 April 2015

Sponsored by

Midfielder Jay O'Shea stepped off the bench at half-time at Yeovil Town on Good Friday, scoring twice to give the Spireites a 3-2 victory.

Trailing by a goal at the interval and soon 2-0 behind, Sam Hird gave Chesterfield hope before O'Shea scored two very different but equally excellent goals to win the match for the visitors.

After the game O'Shea spoke about his afternoon at Huish Park and his two terrific strikes: "I couldn't ask for more to be honest when I came on. When we went 2-0 down I thought 'oh no, here we go', but Hirdy [Sam Hird] came along with a great goal, he got us back in the game and then I was happy to get the two goals to win the game.

"At that stage we were starting to keep the ball well around the box, we were getting a few little passes in. When I got it I was initially looking to put Clucas in but the defender blocked it off so it made the opening for the shot. I just got my head down, smacked it and it went in the top corner.

"For the second it was a good ball in and I probably should have been getting in there but even though I was late I capatalised on the defender's touch. He knocked it up in the air and I tried to get something on it - and it went in."

The midfielder now has eight goals for the campaign and he explained what his manager had told him as he made his entrance at the halfway point of the game.

"He just said that he wanted us to dominate the ball a lot more in the second half," said O'Shea. "He didn't think we had done it enough in the first half, so he got me and Gboly [Ariyibi] on the pitch to get more possession of the ball and get higher up the pitch, it worked a treat.

"All season we've done that. Even when we were 3-0 down against Preston we came back to 3-3. The lads have a never-say-die attitude and that's great especially now coming into the most important stage of the season where the points are even more important."

Advertisement block