Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Turn-Around Stings Spireites

21 October 2014

Sponsored by

The Spireites succumbed to a 2-1 defeat in Essex to Colchester United after leading at the break.

Sam Clucas gave the Spireites the lead after just 60 seconds as he converted from close range, but second-half goals from Rhys Healey and Freddie Sears allowed the hosts to snatch all three points.

The Spireites arrived at the Weston Homes Community Stadium in good spirits after taking part at the weekend in an evenly contested and entertaining fixture against in-form Oldham Athletic.

Spireites boss, Paul Cook, however was keen to get back to winning ways and stem the run of two consecutive narrow defeats away from the Proact.

Cook and Chesterfield didn’t have to wait long for the first goal of the evening, as Clucas got the Spireites off to a blistering start following a neat move between himself and midfielder Ollie Banks, as the pair played a clever one-two before Clucas was able to sweep the ball home and give Chesterfield the early breakthrough.

The first-minute strike appeared to have set the tone for the Spireites as Paul Cook’s side nearly doubled their lead moments later, when Jay O’Shea twisted and turned on the edge of the area, but his powerful drive missed Sam Walker’s goal.

Colchester had to come from behind to grab a deserved point in their last outing against Scunthorpe, and lightning appeared to have struck twice as Colchester levelled the scoreline.

Despite dominating the first-half in many departments, a familiar story occurred for the Spireites in the second period, as just three minutes in the U’s levelled through substitute Rhys Healey, after his fierce drive from the edge of the area beat Tommy Lee and level the fixture.

Tony Humes’ men came out with a different side after the break as the goalscorer and substitute Healey nearly added to his tally and turned the result around as he raced clear from skipper Ian Evatt, but the Cardiff City loanee lashed his effort wide of the mark.

The Colchester momentum continued as Freddie Sears was the man to chance his arm at goal this time round, but his deflected effort managed to find itself into the six-yard area before Tendayi Darikwa was able to scramble the ball away for the Spireites.

However, the further the game went on, the bigger an impact Chesterfield were having on the game, and Sam Morsy was the man who drove forward with the ball before unleashing a thunderbolt of an effort which was saved well.

O’Shea, who has been accustomed to coming off the bench this season, was given the nod from the start in Essex, and the Irishman nearly regained the lead for the Spireites after he danced around the U’s backline before crafting a beautiful left-footed effort goalwards, but unfortunately for Chesterfield the effort drifted narrowly wide.

Sears was becoming a real thorn in the Spireites defence, and the little striker rattled in a winner with just minutes to play.

The former West Ham United man latched on to a pass from Gavin Massey before aiming a volley to the top right of the goal, a strike which left Lee for dead in the Spireites goal as the U’s completed the turn-around.

The Chesterfield goalscorer, Clucas, had been tormenting the Colchester full-back for the duration of the game, and when the midfielder crossed for Dan Gardner in the penalty box, the substitute’s header beat Walker in the Colchester goal but couldn’t beat Tom Eastman on the line, as the Spireites left Essex empty-handed.

Colchester United: Walker, Hewitt, Kent (Okuonghae 5'), Eastman, Clohessy, Moncur (Healey 45'), Fox, Gilbey, Massey, Sears, Watt.

Chesterfield: Lee - Darikwa, Evatt (c), Margreitter, Jones - Morsy, Ryan, O'Shea (Gardner 88'), Banks (Johnson 61'), Clucas - Doyle


Colchester United: Healey 50', Sears 87'

Chesterfield: Clucas 1'

Attedance: 2,718 (252 away fans)

Advertisement block