Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Share Spoils with Latics

18 October 2014

Sponsored by

Sam Clucas scored a stunning volley to draw level with Oldham Athletic in a rumbustious 1-1 draw at the Proact.

Oldham took the lead moments after the break as top scorer Jonathan Forte marked his return to the starting 11 with a goal from the penalty spot. 

Both teams created a number of chances throughout the game but the Spireites struggled to be clinical in the final third until Clucas levelled the game in the 57th minute after an inch-perfect chip forwards by Roberts.

The first half started brightly as both teams looked to immediately push forward and commit men to attack. 

It was the away side who had the first clear-cut opportunity as Carl Winchester forced a smart save from Spireites keeper Tommy Lee.

Ian Evatt had the best chance of the opening 10 minutes as he dived to head a cross just wide of Oldham’s far post from the edge of the six yard box. 

Moments later Forte, back after missing three games through injury, broke the offside trap and forced Lee to make another diving save.

The Spireites continued to press forward and on the quarter hour mark a quick throw from Lee and a crossfield ball from Tendayi Darikwa set Clucas away down the left. The winger had only one thing on his mind but his left-footed strike flew wide of the near post.

The attacking style of the game meant that both teams were creating chances but leaving space in the middle for the opposition to counter. 

It was on the counter that Sam Morsy shouldered two tackles before being brought down on the edge of the area, but Ryan’s free-kick thundered into the wall.

The away side’s front three of Forte, Dominic Poleon and Daniel Philliskirk continued to look dangerous and on the 30 minute mark it was Philliskirk who broke free but Evatt got the vital block in.

Both teams were having joy on the wings with Chesterfield’s Roberts in particular providing good deliveries into the box. 

Firstly an in-swinging delivery was met by Clucas, but under pressure his touch took the ball over the bar, Doyle then flicked his header just wide.

On the approach to half-time the pace of the game dropped slightly but Forte came close to opening the scoring as Oldham countered on the left wing. He cut inside neatly but his curled shot flew harmlessly over the bar.

After a first half that would have yielded goals were it not for solid goalkeeping and a lack of clinical instinct, the second half looked set for more of the same free-flowing football. 

In the first minute after the restart Poleon’s header fortunately crept wide after the Spireites had failed to stop the cross.

Oldham took the lead on the very next attack as Georg Margreitter was adjudged to have clipped the heels of Philliskirk inside the area. The referee pointed to the spot and Forte duly converted the spot kick.

The Spireites pressed looking for an equaliser with Roberts and Johnson leading the attacks. 

It was Roberts who had the first good chance after Darikwa had burst unnoticed into the area he squared the ball which fell to Roberts whose shot was cleared off the line after a save from Paul Rachubka.

The teams were level in the 57th minute and it was the inspired Roberts who was the provider for the Spireites. 

After working the ball around well on the edge of the area, Roberts flicked the ball over the Oldham back line and Clucas calmly volleyed home under pressure.

Just after the hour mark played Paul Cook brought Armand Gnanduillet off the bench and moved Clucas into left-back as the Spireites changed to 4-4-2 and looked to come away with all three points.

With 15 minutes to play there was little sign that this game would finish in a draw with both teams committed to winning all three points. 

Lee was called into action again as substitute Jabo Ibehre was put clean through but his high shot was tipped over by the Spireites ‘keeper.

Doyle, who had a quiet first hour, was starting to make an impact as he looked to link up with Gnanduillet in the final third. 

The chances kept coming for Chesterfield with Doyle and Johnson both making runs into the 18 yard before their crosses were blocked.

Lee ensured there wouldn’t be any stoppage time drama as the ball was blocked by him amidst a goalmouth scramble and the match ended all square.

Chesterfield: Lee (gk) – Darikwa, Evatt (c), Margreitter, Jones (Gnanduillet 65’) – Ryan, Morsy, Roberts (O’Shea 84’), Johnson (Gardner 87’), Clucas – Doyle

Subs not used: Hunt (gk), Raglan, Banks, Boco

Oldham Athletic: Rachubka (gk) – B. Wilson (Kusunga 90’), J. Wilson, Dieng, Mills – Winchester (Dayton 72’), Jones, Kelly (c) -  Poleon, (Ibehre 63’), Philliskirk, Forte

Subs not used: Coleman, Brown, Tidser, Turner


Chesterfield: Clucas 57’

Oldham Athletic: Forte 49’ (pen)

Attendance: 7,130 (away fans: 1,028)

Advertisement block