Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Hold Leeds to Draw

26 July 2014

Sponsored by

A Sam Morsy double brought Chesterfield within five minutes of a pre-season scalp of Leeds United, but two Rodolph Austin penalties saw an entertaining game finish in a 2-2 draw.

The Spireites, in their traditional blue shirts and white shorts, went close first after eight minutes when Jay O'Shea whipped in a low cross that Eoin Doyle poked just wide of Marco Silvestri's near post.

Rampaging forwards, winger Gary Roberts charged into the box and fed Morsy, who stretched to send the ball goalwards but had his shot well saved by the legs of the Leeds 'keeper.

Next Doyle twisted visiting captain Jason Pearce this way and that before forcing a full-length save from Silvestri.

Roberts next tried his luck from the halfway line in spectacular fashion. The effort was high but half a yard too handsome, landing on the roof of the net.

Leeds' first effort of note came after 22 minutes when Austin hammered a half-cleared freekick back towards but well wide of Tommy Lee's goal.

With the game settling down into a more pre-season pace, the visitors' giant striker Matt Smith rose highest to meet a right-wing cross, but not making full contact his header bounced harmlessly wide

Barely had the second half started when Luke Murphy broke into the Chesterfield box and went to ground under Jimmy Ryan's tackle. The referee pointed to the spot and Austin slotted the ball past Lee for the game's opener.

The Spireites weren't behind for long however, nine minutes into the second half Doyle played a square pass to Morsy 20 yards out and the midfielder steadied himself before firing home a delightfully-controlled strike.

The Spireites were soon turning the screw, pushing forwards and looking the more likely to grab the game's next goal.

After 66 minutes the hosts had their lead when a ball over the top was headed down by substitute Armand Gnanduillet and into the path of Morsy. Ahead of his man he drilled home a low half volley and sent the Proact Stadium wild.

The visitors were clearly keen to get themselves back level again, but the Chesterfield defence was well marshalled by captain Ian Evatt.

With just five minutes remaining on the scoreboard however, full back Daniel Jones brought down Sam Byram in the penalty area and the referee awarded the away side their second penalty of the afternoon. Austin stepped up to take the spot kick again and while Lee dived the right way the midfielder had his second goal.

Late on young substitute Curtis Morrisson cut in and had a shot blocked as the Spireites had to be content with a well-fought draw.

Chesterfield: Lee (gk) - Darikwa, Evatt (c), Cooper, Jones - Hird (Gardner 45'), Morsy (Humphreys 76'), Ryan (Morrisson 83'), O'Shea (Gnanduillet 45'), Roberts (Featherstone 81')-  Doyle (Daly 86')

Subs not used: Anyan (gk), Raglan, Onivwigun, Dawes, Clark.

Leeds United: Silvestri (gk) - Byram, Pearce (c), Wootton, Warnock (Berardi 74') - Austin, Cook (Tonge 68'), Murphy (Norris 68'), White (Bianchi 64') - Smith (Doukara 45'), Morision (Dawson 76').

Subs not used: Taylor (gk), Berardi, Taylor, Lees.


Chesterfield - Morsy 54', 66'

Leeds United - Austin 47' pen, 86' pen

Advertisement block