Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Defeated at Lincoln

19 July 2014

Sponsored by

Chesterfield fell to a 2-1 defeat at Sincil Bank in the latest match of their pre-season campaign.

First half goals from Jordan Burrow and Alan Power put the Imps in a commanding position before Charlie Dawes struck back quickly for the visitors- who, despite fielding a stronger second half side, were unable to find a leveling goal.

The weather was positively summery come kick off, after a morning of Lincolnshire rain that left the pitch glistening on top. However, the first ten minutes of proceedings saw the match struggle for any sort of pace.

Fifteen minutes in and the home side took the lead. A charging run forwards by Ben Tomlinson saw Chesterfield tackles fly in and miss, with the ball eventually falling to Burrow who finished low past the exposed Tommy Lee, making his return from injury.

The lead was nearly doubled five minutes later when defender Tom Miller was first on to a swung-in freekick from the left, his flick going just past Lee and the upright into the side netting.

After the mid-half drinks break there was little change in the flow of possession towards The Spireites' goal. This time it was Power who bent home a crisp finish with another Imp in acres of space in the away box.

A minute later and Chesterfield were back within a goal, after their first attack of note. Straight from kick off substitute Dawes was able to take advantage of hesitant Lincoln defending to pull a goal back with a low strike.

An equaliser nearly followed for the visitors when Romy Boco's stinging 25-yard shot was only parried by 'keeper Paul Farman. Luke Clarke's effort from the rebound found the net with venom only for the midfielder to turn and see the referee's assistant's flag raised for offside.

Spireites manager Paul Cook rang the changes at the interval, with a side closer to the first team emerging for the second half. The alterations increased the tempo, Dan Gardner drilling a low shot that deflected wide off Eoin Doyle.

Doyle himself was then through on goal, stretching to volley a ball up but just within reach of the Lincoln 'keeper, who saved well.

At the other end Power was again causing trouble for the Spireites defence, wriggling into space and then firing a shot high and wide of Lee's goal.

Chesterfield were undeniably sharper however. Gardner was played in and stabbed a low shot that was saved, before Jimmy Ryan struck just wide with power from outside the box as the away side chased a leveler. 

Soon Darikwa crossed from the byline, just too high for Doyle arrowing into the centre, then Boco had the 'keeper sprawling with an long-range effort that went wide.

Despite the Chesterfield pressure it was the hosts who should have regained their two-goal margin ten minutes from time. Tomlinson was in on goal but thwarted by Lee, the ball then picked up by Everington who danced past defenders only to miss the target with the hard work done.

With time running down Gardner was again in the thick of the attacking action, controlling a well-hit volley that hammered off the Lincoln upright.

The fourth official held up his board to signal three minutes of additional time, though it wasn't long enough for Chesterfield to score an elusive second goal.

Lincoln City: Farman (gk) - Miller, Newton, Jordan, Diagne - Power, Burrow, Tomlinson, Nolan - Robinson, Brown.

Chesterfield: Lee (gk) – Holmes (Darikwa 45'), Raglan (Evatt 45'), Cooper (Hird 45'), Humphreys (Jones 45') – Boco, Clarke (Ryan 45'), Featherstone (Morsy 45'), McElroy (Roberts 45') – Gnanduillet (Doyle 45'), Morgan (Dawes 13' (Gardner 45'))


Lincoln City - Burrow 15', Power 30' 

Chesterfield - Dawes 31'

Attendance - 952 (148 away fans)

Advertisement block