Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield Cruise Past Long Eaton

7 January 2014

Sponsored by

An emphatic display from Chesterfield saw them run out 7-0 winners over Long Eaton and advance to the quarter finals of the Derbyshire Senior Cup.

A hat-trick from Armand Gnanduillet, a brace from Ollie Banks and goals from Jay O'Shea and Jamie Devitt proved enough to see off the challenge of the non-leauge visiting side.

Chesterfield dominated the early exchanges, moving the ball well and keeping the Blues pressed in their own half. 

It didn't take long for the Spireites to take the lead, O'Shea received the ball on the right side of the Long Eaton area before turning on the ball and working it onto his left foot. The Irishman fired a fierce shot across the face of Joe McCormack's goal and gave Chesterfield an early advantage. 

Devitt nearly doubled the Chesterfield lead a matter of minutes later. The winger found space on the left wing before cutting inside onto his right foot and unleashing a driven effort from distance but his shot fell just wide. 

Devitt turned provider as the game reached the ten-minute mark. The Irishman broke into Long Eaton's area and cut the ball back towards the six-yard box for an onrushing Gnanduillet, the striker stretched to meet the pass but it was defended brilliantly by the away side and they eventually scrambled clear. 

Despite the missed opportunity, it wasn't long before Gnanduillet was granted with another. Jimmy Ryan shaped to shoot on the edge of the Blues' area before his deflected effort fell to the feet of the Frenchman. Gnanduillet's low shot evaded McCormack and found the back of the net, doubling Chesterfield's lead.

In his first start for the Spireites since the away trip to Bristol Rovers, Sam Morsy had an opportunity to get on the scoresheet. He received the ball on the edge of the Long Eaton area before composing himself and curling an effort just wide of McCormack's goal.

Gnanduillet netted his second of the game as the match reached the 26-minute mark. Tendayi Darikwa broke down the right wing and fired a driven cross into the Long Eaton six-yard box for the striker to head home.

Joe McCormack picked up an injury during the Spireites' third goal and as the away side did not have a substitute goalkeeper on their bench, Chesterfield's Cameron Mason took up position between the sticks for Long Eaton. 

The home side's fourth came soon after the substitution, Banks broke from midfield leaving two Long Eaton defenders in his wake. He looked up and took his time before finishing smartly past Mason. 

The young Chesterfield 'keeper was busy from the moment he entered the action. After conceding his first and the away side's fourth, O'Shea tested the youngster from distance but Mason was equal to the long range strike and palmed the Irishman's effort wide.

Gnanduillet completed his hat-trick in the 43rd minute, finding acres of space 35-yards from the away side's goal before turning on the ball and unleashing a sublime strike that beat Mason and found the top corner of the net. 

The home side's relentless pressure continued as the first half came to a close. O'Shea was felled on the edge of the Long Eaton area and the referee blew for a Spireites free-kick. Devitt stepped up and curled a low effort around the wall and into the bottom corner of the net, giving Chesterfield a six-goal advantage going into the break.

The Spireites started the second half as they ended the first, keeping the ball well and forcing Long Eaton to chase them all over the Proact Stadium pitch. 

Darikwa found space on the right wing and drifted a cross towards Gnanduillet at the back post. The striker had no choice but to volley the ball first time and his effort cleared the Long Eaton crossbar.

As the game approached the one-hour mark, Ryan found Gnanduillet with a neat through-ball. The unmarked Frenchman advanced on Mason's goal before shooting across the 'keeper but his effort fell just wide of the post.

It wasn't long after that the home side added to their tally. Banks found a yard of space in the Long Eaton area before chipping Mason from a tight angle for his second of the game and Chesterfield's seventh.

Gnanduillet went close to making it eight a matter of minutes later. The striker rose above everyone to meet a well placed Devitt corner and fired a strong header towards goal but Mason tipped the effort onto the bar brilliantly before the visitors cleared. 

As the match progressed, Chesterfield's pressure subsided and the game's pace slowed right down allowing the home side to move the ball comfortably amongst themselves without forcing any further attempts.

Mason was again called into action from a Gnanduillet header as the game entered the final five minutes. The Frenchman rose well to meet a Darikwa cross and his effort looked destined for the top corner but the young stopper got across well to tip the ball over the bar.

Devitt had an opportunity to score his second of the game in the dying minutes as Gnanduillet found the Irishman in space inside Long Eaton's area. He took a touch before shooting but unfortunately dragged his effort wide.

The referee blew his whistle soon after Devitt's chance and brought the game to a close, sending Chesterfield through to the quarter finals of the Derbyshire Senior Cup.

Chesterfield: Chapman; Darikwa, Cooper (c), Brown, Smith; Ryan (Hewitt 61'), Morsy, Devitt, Banks (Beesley 64'), O'Shea (Johnson 67'); Gnanduillet.

Long Eaton: McCormack (Mason 30'), Armstrong, Yeomans, Webster, Burton, Palmer, Hancock, Watkiss, Grantham (Baxter 75'), Rickford, Corrigan.

Subs not used: Savage, Jenkins, Chambers, King.

Goals: Chesterfield (O'Shea 3', Gnanduillet 18' 26' 43', Banks 36' 63', Devitt 45') 7 - 0 Long Eaton United

Advertisement block