Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Defeated at Wycombe

22 February 2014

Sponsored by

Chesterfield's six-game unbeaten league run came to an end at Adams Park as they fell 1-0 to Wycombe Wanderes in a frustrating afternoon for the Spireites.

Max Kretzschmar gave the home side the lead from the penalty spot just after the 30-minute mark when Ian Evatt was adjudged to have handled the ball in the Chesterfield area and Paul Cook's side could not find a way back into the game.

It was Wycombe who started the brightest with Matt McClure getting a chance at goal after a great ball from Kretschmar but he sent his header just wide of Tommy Lee’s left hand post.

Anthony Jeffrey was the focal point of the Chairboys attack and looked dangerous. He got his first shot off in the ninth minute with a volley from 20 yards but the effort again came to nothing. Further assaults 
on the Spireites goal followed with McClure and then Matt Bloomfield trying their luck but neither of them managed to hit the target.

Chesterfield’s main attacking threat came from the wings. Jay O'Shea and Tendayi Darikwa combined well down the right hand side while Gary Roberts provided service from the left but that crucial final pass was lacking from a Chesterfield side whose build up play was the better of the two teams.

The Spireites’ first real chance came just over the half hour mark with Darikwa, O’shea and Roberts combining to create an attempt for Eoin Doyle just outside the six yard box but his turning shot was blocked by Leon Johnson.

The visitors continued to pile on the pressure but it was Wycombe who took the lead when McClure ghosted into the area and his attempted cross was blocked by the arm of Evatt. The resulting penalty was taken by Kretschmar who rifled it past Lee to record a 1-0 scoreline and the game’s first shot on target.

The Spireites attempted to strike back straight away with Darikwa playing it in to the box but Johnson was there once again to clear it.

There was even more frustration to come when just before half time Cook had a verbal altercation with the referee who consequently sent him to the stands. One of many decisions that had visiting fans riled up.

The second half was even scrappier than the first. Armand Gnanduillet, who came on for O’Shea at half time, got stuck into the action straight away and looked to provide something different, but the first real talking point of the second period came when Gary Doherty went to ground clutching his arm. He was taken off to be replaced with Anthony Stewart, with what appeared to be a dislocated shoulder.

Both teams looked to create a few more chances by bringing on a couple of fresh faces. Marc Richards came on for Doyle while Jeffrey was replaced by Paris Cowan-Hall for the home side. However, despite the changes chances were few and far between. 

The one big chance for Chesterfield came from a free kick. Roberts whipped it in but the linesman’s flag ensured that even though the ball was headed in the hosts kept their lead. 

The afternoon was summed up for the Spireites on the 87th minute when Roberts managed to find a bit of space but due to the stifling nature of Wycombe’s play could only manage a weak volley from 20 yards. That proved to be the visitor’s first and last effort on target.

The table-toppers battled to get the equaliser and put immense pressure on the Chairboys back four but once again it was that final pass that was lacking. As the final whistle blew Wycombe celebrated their 
first home win in three months and left Chesterfield looking to bounce back with a win on Tuesday against Cheltenham.

Wycombe Wanderers: Ingram, Arnold, Wood, Johnson, Doherty (Stewart 51'), Scowen, Lewis (c), Bloomfield, Kretzschmar, McClure (Styche 78'), Jeffrey (Cowan-Hall 55').

Subs not used: Horlock, Morgan, Kuffour, Craig.

Chesterfield: Lee; Darikwa, Evatt (c), Cooper, Humphreys; Hird (Gardner 66'), Morsy, Ryan, O'Shea (Gnanduillet 45'), Roberts; Doyle (Richards 56').

Subs not used: Dunbavin, Smith, Togwell, Banks.

Goals: Wycombe Wanderers (Kretzschmar PEN 35') 1 - 0 Chesterfield

Attendance: 3,356 (520 Chesterfield)

Advertisement block