Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/09/2013

28 September 2013

Sponsored by

Chesterfield Defeated by Stags

Chesterfield suffered their first defeat of the season at the hands of local rivals, Mansfield Town.

Calvin Andrew headed the only goal of the game as the Spireites lost their 100% home record in front of over 10,000 fans at the Proact. Gary Roberts was red carded in additional time and that will rule him out for Chesterfield’s next three games.

Chesterfield named the same side that defeated Oxford last week, with Marc Richards’ injury meaning Eoin Doyle led the line for the Spireites.

The sound of the crowd made for an intimidating atmosphere and Chesterfield forced an early corner in the second minute, but Sam Hird’s header went harmlessly over the crossbar. 

Chesterfield started the brighter of the two sides and Jimmy Ryan came inches from opening the scoring but goalkeeper, Alan Marriott pulled off a superb save.

As the cauldron of noise started to die down, both sides started to settle into the game. Mansfield had their first effort through Jamie McGuire, but his effort was nowhere near troubling Tommy Lee.

Midway through the half, Roberts picked up the ball and drove at the Mansfield backline. The attacker won himself a free kick, 25 yards out, but his effort deflected off the wall and out for a corner.

The Spireites started to dominate and were roared on by the impressive home support. Ritchie Humphreys and Liam Cooper both delivered teasing crosses into the box but were unfortunate not to see a Spireite player on the end of it.

Although Chesterfield had the lion’s share of possession, they were finding clear cut opportunities hard to come by. The best chance came on the half hour mark through striker, Doyle. Roberts fed the Irishman, but his effort fell straight into the arms of the goalkeeper.

Mansfield danger man, Sam Clucas went agonisingly close to opening the scoring for the Stags, but his snapshot dragged the wrong side of Lee’s goal. 

The visitors started to grab a foothold in the derby, and took the lead through Andrew. Ben Hutchinson’s corner was nodded home by the striker to give the Stags the lead.

Clucas was causing the Spireites problems in the final third. He cut the ball back for Andrew, whose effort rebounded off the post and to safety.

As the fourth official indicated a minute of additional time, Sam Morsy had a header that rebounded off the crossbar, and that was the closest the Spireites came to opening their account in the first half. 

The Spireites kicked off the second half and instantly searched for a way back into the game. Five minutes into the second half and Chesterfield made a double substitution.  Armand Gnanduillet and Gary McSheffrey were introduced in place of Tendayi Darikwa and Jay O’Shea. 

Mansfield should have doubled their lead minutes later. James Jennings delivered a ball and Ryan Tafazolli’s headed way wide.

Controversy followed as Morsy looked to have been brought down in the area by a Stags defender, but the referee produced a yellow card for the Spireite midfielder for diving. 

The incident seemed to spur on the Spireites. Gnanduillet had a shot that the keeper spilled and Doyle’s cross to Humphreys was ballooned over the bar by the new PFA Chairman. 

Late challenges from Tafazolli and McGuire saw them enter the referee’s notebook, and it seemed to lift the Chesterfield fans into action.

The visitors made their first substitution on the hour mark as Lindon Meikle replaced Ben Hutchinson. 

The Spireites were finding it hard to break down the resolute Mansfield defence. Doyle had half a chance on 70 minutes, but his shot was comfortably saved by Marriott. 

The Irishman found himself behind the Mansfield defence again five minutes later, but again, Marriott was equal to his effort.

The visiting goal was coming under a lot of pressure but unfortunately for the Spireites, they were unable to trouble the goalkeeper.

Morsy, Roberts and Ryan all had shots from distance, but the Stags defence would not be beaten. 

As the six minutes of additional minutes were announced, Mansfield should have put the game to bed. Substitute, Matt Rhead shot straight at Lee. 

Roberts saw red in additional time for an off the ball incident, and the referee signalled the end of the game, with the Spireites still top of the Sky Bet League 2 table. 

Chesterfield: Lee; Talbot (c)(Devitt 86'), Hird, Cooper, Humphreys; Ryan, Morsy, Darikwa (Gnanduillet 53'), Roberts, O'Shea (McSheffrey 53'); Doyle.

Subs not used: Chapman, Edwards, Evatt, Togwell.

Mansfield Town: Marriott, Sutton, Dempster (c), Tafazolli, Beevers, Howell, McGuire, Jennings, Hutchinson (Meikle 62'), Andrew (Daniel 76'), Clucas (Rhead 80').

Subs not used: Palmer, Murtagh, Stevenson, Speight.

Goals : Chesterfield 0 - 1 Mansfield Town (Andrew 37')

Attendance: 10,015 (1,992 Mansfield Town)

Advertisement block