Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/10/2013

26 October 2013

Sponsored by

Spireites Draw with Rovers

The Spireites winless run continues after leaving the Memorial Stadium with a share of the points following a 0-0 draw where opportunities were limited.

The ten-man Derbyshire side will leave Bristol Rovers with a feeling of frustration after being unable to capitalise on long spells of possession and pressure.

Chesterfield made two changes to the side that took on York City in midweek, bringing in Tendayi Darikwa and Eoin Doyle in place of Ryan Edwards and Gary McSheffrey.

Rovers enjoyed the first real opportunity of the game, John-Joe O'Toole received the ball 25-yards from the Spireites goal before composing himself and shooting but his effort sailed over the bar and didn't trouble Tommy Lee.

Chesterfield winger Jamie Devitt enjoyed a lot of the ball during the opening exchanges and looked to deliver into the box at every given opportunity. Unfortunately for the Irishman, none of his early crosses were met by a Spireites forward and went wasted. 

After a deflected Seanan Clucas shot was easily gathered by Lee Chesterfield began to press the Gas, enjoying a lot of possession in the Rovers' half but without creating any clear-cut opportunities. 

Morsy's afternoon came to an early end after the midfielder went down under a challenge in the middle of the park and was consequently replaced by Ollie Banks who made his league debut for the Spireites.

Banks was instantly involved, heading the ball forward to Armand Gnanduillet who spread the ball to Gary Roberts on the left wing. The midfielder composed himself before attempting to lob Steve Mildenhall but the 'keeper got back well to palm wide.

The Spireites continued to press, delivering ball after ball into the Rovers box through Roberts, Jimmy Ryan and Devitt but the Gas defended well and continued to clear their lines.

Late in the first half, Devitt stepped up to whip a corner across the Pirates six-yard box. The ball was deflected off the head of a Rovers defender and fell to Roberts at the back post who volleyed the loose ball first time but his effort was mishit and ballooned over the bar.

The sides went into the half time break level after an opening period where neither team had created a clear-cut opportunity. Chesterfield enjoyed much of the possession but couldn't force many chances in a frustrating opening 45 for the Spireites.

One minute into the second half an Ian Evatt headed clearance fell to O'Toole just inside the Spireites area, the Rovers midfielder tried to direct an effort on target but fell backwards as he did so and his shot ballooned over the bar. 

Directly after the opportunity, Gnanduillet broke free from midfield and found Doyle with a neat through-ball. The striker advanced on Mildenhall's goal before attempting to chip the onrushing 'keeper but his effort sailed over the bar and Rovers were let off the hook. 

Chesterfield picked up where they left off at the end of the first half, pressing the Gas and enjoying the majority of possession. The away side appeared to have won a penalty on the hour mark after Doyle was brought down by Mildenhall on the edge of the six-yard box but the referee was unmoved by the Spireites appeals much to the disbelief of the Chesterfield coaching staff.

The Derbyshire side then had two opportunities to take the lead in quick succession; Roberts forced a spectacular save from Mildenhall after the ball fell to the midfielder at the back post before composing himself and shooting across goal, his saved effort then fell to Doyle on the opposite side of the Rovers' area who volleyed first time towards goal but the shot struck a Spireites player and was eventually cleared.

Both sides jostled for the ball for long periods of the second half with neither team able to get a foothold in the game. As the game approached the final ten minutes Michael Smith broke free on the Rovers right wing before crossing towards the Chesterfield six-yard box, the ball didn't trouble Lee who charged out of his goal to catch comfortably.

Chesterfield countered following Lee's catch and the ball sat up nicely for Ryan 25-yards from the Gas' goal, the midfielder unleashed a first-time volley towards Mildenhall who was forced to parry the shot back into his penalty area but Rovers pounced on the loose ball and cleared. 

Just after Ryan's opportunity, Chesterfield striker Doyle received a second yellow card for pulling back Alefe Santos and became the second Spireites player this season to be sent off. 

As the clock approached the 90-minute mark, Ollie Clarke broke free from midfield and advanced into space outside the Chesterfield area before shooting from distance; his strong shot was well saved by Lee who parried the effort away to his right hand side. 

The home support urged their team on as the game came to a close but the referee blew for full-time before they could force pressure on the Spireites, leaving both sides with a point in a well contested game at the Memorial Stadium.

Bristol Rovers: Mildenhall; Smith, Parkes (c), Packwood, Lockyer, Clarke, Clucas, O'Toole, Santos, Richards, Brunt.

Subs not used: Gough, Norburn, Henshall, Harrison, Harding, Keary, Southway.

Chesterfield: Lee; Darikwa, Evatt (c)(Hird 73'), Cooper, Humphreys; Ryan, Morsy (Banks 28'), Devitt (Richards 62'), Roberts; Doyle, Gnanduillet.

Subs not used: Chapman, Smith, Edwards, McSheffrey.

Goals: Bristol Rovers 0 - 0 Chesterfield

Attendance: 5,667 (430 Chesterfield)

Advertisement block