Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/10/2013

22 October 2013

Sponsored by

Spireites Draw with Minstermen

A spirited comeback from the Spireites unfortunately ended in a draw as York came away from the Proact Stadium with a point.

Luke O’Neil put the Ministermen ahead mid-way through the first half and they headed into the break with the lead. 

Ryan Jarvis doubled their deficit just after the hour mark, but that sparked Chesterfield into action. Gary Roberts won a penalty which was dispatched by Armand Gnanduillet and substitute Jay O’Shea forced the equaliser with 15 minutes remaining. 

Although the Spireites tried and tried, they were unable to break down the York defence and unfortunately they had to settle for the draw.

After an even opening where both sides enjoyed spells of possession, the Spireites started to dictate the play in the first half. 

Ben Davies received a yellow card after taking the leg of Jamie Devitt, and the winger picked himself up to inspire Chesterfield into attack. 

The inclusion of Armand Gnanduillet was proving to be a fruitful decision as the Frenchman caused the visitors problems all night in attack, regularly challenging and winning the aerial battles.

The big man was unfortunate not to open the scoring mid-way through the first half. A superb cross from Devitt found the head of Gnanduillet but the ball just bounced over the bar.

The Spireites were started to calve open the York defence and Samy Morsy really should have done better when finding space in the penalty area but his effort whistled over the bar without troubling goalkeeper, Michael Ingham.

It wasn’t all Spireite domination however. Tommy Lee had to be aware when Ryan Brobbel unleashed a corker from distance, but the stopper did well to turn his effort over the crossbar.

Chesterfield didn’t learn from that early warning sign and York took the lead on the 35th minute. O’Neill picked up the ball from distance and hit a shot that rifled past Lee to give the visitors the lead.

Gnanduillet and Devitt both had opportunities to get the Spireites level but neither effort troubled Ingham.

Chesterfield started the second half chasing the game as they looked to bounce back from a disappointing first half score line. 

Five minutes into the second half, Chesterfield nearly found the equaliser. Superb midfield play saw the ball crossed to Gary Roberts, whose exquisite overhead kick was cleared off the line.

The noise inside the Proact Stadium started to lift and the Spireites looked to capitalise on the pressure being caused.

Roberts started find holes in the York backline and was unfortunate not to level the scores just before the hour mark. After picking the ball on the edge of the area, the winger struck but the York goalkeeper was equal to his effort.

Pressure mounted for the Spireites but it was York who hit Chesterfield on the counter attack and extracted full punishment. A corner routine wasn’t dealt with by the Spireites and the ball nicked off Jarvis and into the goal to give the Ministermen a two goal advantage.

Chesterfield had the perfect opportunity to hit back straight away as Roberts was fouled and Gnanduillet stepped up and confidently smashed the ball past Ingham to give the Spireites a way back into the game.

Players and fans were incensed when only five minutes after the penalty incident, Roberts felt as though he should have had another one after being brought down by the defender, but the referee waved away the protests.

Devitt was maybe lucky to come away with only a booking after he lunged in on goalscorer, O’Neil, but the Irishman only received a booking.

York’s two goal lead was extinguished as substitute, Jay O’Shea equalised for the Spireites with 15 minutes remaining. Frenchman, Gnanduillet did all the hard work. His cross found Morsy who directed it into O’Shea’s path and the Irishman prodded home to level the score line.

Chesterfield’s momentum had risen and they were unfortunate not to take the lead. Ian Evatt’s header smashed against the upright from Roberts’ corner.

As the fourth official indicated a minimum of six minutes of added time, Roberts went close with a header, but he couldn’t steer it on target and ultimately, the Spireites had to settle for the draw.

Chesterfield: Lee; Edwards (O'Shea 67'), Evatt (c), Cooper, Humphreys; Ryan, Morsy, Devitt, Roberts, McSheffrey (Doyle 65'); Gnanduillet (Richards 80').

Subs not used: Chapman, Hird, Darikwa, Banks.

York City: Ingham, Oyebanjo, Davies, McGurk, Parslow (c), Jarvis (Fletcher 75'), Carson, Montrose, Brobbel (Platt 62'), Whitehouse, O'Neill.

Subs not used: Kettings, Smith, Cresswell, Bowman, Puri.

Goals: Chesterfield (Gnanduillet 64', O'Shea 76') 2 - 2 York City (O'Neill 35', Jarvis 60')

Attendance: 5,907

Advertisement block