Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 19/10/2013

19 October 2013

Sponsored by

Chesterfield Defeated by Brewers

A first-half brace from Adam McGurk gave Burton victory at the Proact on Saturday, as Chesterfield suffered their second successive home defeat.

Goals in the tenth and 14th minute won the game for the Brewers but due to results elsewhere, the Spireites stay top of the Sky Bet League Two table on goal difference.

Chesterfield made one change to the side that drew with Fleetwood last week. Gary Roberts replaced club-captain Ian Evatt, whilst Marc Richards and Armand Gnanduillet recovered from injuries to make it onto the bench. 

After a slow opening to the game, it was the visitors that had the first opportunity of the game. After a teasing corner into the box, Chris Hussey smashed his effort against both the post and crossbar.

That was the early warning sign, and a minute later Burton took the lead. McGurk beat the last line of defence and tucked a shot under Tommy Lee to give the Brewers a lead.

One became two as McGurk quickly doubled Burton’s advantage. Hussey delivered a pinpoint cross onto the head of the striker and he powered it past Lee.

Chesterfield were struggling to get to grips with the visitors' counter attacking play and midway through the first half Burton should have made it three. Robbie Weir found himself in acres of space but the midfielder could only steer his effort over the bar.

The Spireites needed momentum and nearly pulled a goal back through Chris Porter. The striker got on the end of a Tendayi Darikwa cross, but he could only head over the bar.

Porter was finding a lot of space in attack but failed to find the target with any of his chances. There were positive signs for Chesterfield though as they were enjoying more of the possession but never really looking threatening.

Chesterfield started the second half with a change as Drew Talbot was replaced by Jay O’Shea, but it was Burton who started the better side. Liam Cooper’s poor pass was intercepted by Weir and he fed McGurk, but Cooper recovered to clear the danger.

Again, the opposition were causing the home side all sorts of problems. Ian Sharps found space at the back post but could only fire straight at Lee.

Porter’s afternoon came to an end on the hour-mark as he was replaced by Armand Gnanduillet. The Frenchman made himself known and was close to equalising for the Spireites but his header narrowly scraped the top of the crossbar and out of play.

Chesterfield threw caution to the wind and brought on their final substitution with more than 20 minutes to play as Roberts was replaced by Richards.

For all the Spireites' attacking play in the second half, they were struggling to create any clear-cut chances. Samy Morsy had a strong penalty appeal turned down and O’Shea had a shot that goalkeeper Jordan Pickford was forced to deal with.

With the Burton defence standing firm, they almost snatched another goal. Weir’s effort cannoned off the post and the midfielder was soon substituted and replaced by Jack Dyer.

With only minutes remaining of the 90 remaining, Gnanduillet received the ball in space, opened his body and unleashed a rasping effort from 30 yards. Goalkeeper Pickford did well to punch the Frenchman’s effort over the bar.

Gnanduillet tried his best to muster something for the Spireites, but it’s the visitors who took the points away from the Proact. 

Chesterfield: Lee; Talbot (c)(O'Shea 45'), Hird, Cooper, Humphreys; Ryan, Morsy, Darikwa, Roberts (Richards 67'), Doyle; Porter (Gnanduillet 58').

Subs not used: Chapman, Evatt, Banks, McSheffrey.

Burton Albion: Pickford, Edwards, Hussey, Sharps, Bell (c)(Diamond 77'), Weir (Dyer 82'), McCrory, Phillips, McGurk (Knowles 85'), Palmer, Cansdell-Sherriff.

Subs not used: Lyness, Howe, Holness, Symes.

Goals: Chesterfield 0 - 2 Burton Albion (McGurk 10', 14')

Attendance: 6,901 (612 Burton Albion)

Advertisement block