Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 05/10/2013

5 October 2013

Sponsored by

Spireites Defeated at Morecambe

Chesterfield suffered their second defeat of the season as they were beaten 4-3 by a spirited Morecambe side.

The Spireites put in a excellent first half performance as Gary McSheffrey and two goals from Eoin Doyle had put Chesterfield 3-0 up at half time, but a second half capitulation meant the Spireites came away from the game with nothing. 

Club captain Ian Evatt was brought in for his second debut in a Spireites shirt, replacing the injured Drew Talbot. Sam Hird was moved to right back, with Evatt and Liam Cooper in the heart of Chesterfield’s defence. 

Gary McSheffrey was brought in to replace the suspended Gary Roberts, and new loan signing Chris Porter had to settle for a place on the bench, with Doyle leading the line.

Morecambe named an unchanged side to their away draw with Northampton last weekend and there side included former Spireite goalkeeper, Barry Roche. 

The Spireites kicked the game off and within five minutes took the lead. Jay O’Shea’s through ball to Doyle looked to be intercepted by Andy Parish in the Morecambe defence, but the defender missed the ball and Doyle tucked away from 12 yards. 

Chesterfield were unlucky not to double their lead minutes later. A quick throw-in gifted McSheffrey an opportunity of a snapshot, but his effort just flew over from 25 yards.

In the tenth minute, Chesterfield did double their lead. Tendayi Darikwa did superbly to take it around the defence and pulled it back to McSheffrey, who slotted home from the edge of the area. 

The goal seemed to kick Morecambe into action, with the home side forcing three corners in quick succession but the defence stood firm and cleared the danger.

A strong penalty appeal was turned down for Morecambe in the 20th minute. Kevin Ellison’s shot deflected wide, the Morecambe players thought it caught a Spireites arm, but the referee was unmoved and waved away the protests.

Mid-way through the first half, Doyle scored his second of the game and the Spireites third. Sam Morsy drove at the Morecambe defence. The midfielder fed Doyle who beat three players and coolly slotted the ball over Roche to cap off a wonderfully crafted goal.

Chesterfield looked threatening on every attack. Roche tipped a Darikwa effort wide, and from the resulting corner, Paul Cook was incensed that the referee didn’t award a spot kick. O’Shea’s effort looked to have been caught by a Shrimps defender, but the referee seemed to miss the incident and gave nothing. 

Morecambe started to come back into the game and should really have got a goal back five minutes before half time. Mark Hughes drove forward with the ball and fed Padraig Amond. The striker had time to pick a shot, but Spireites goalkeeper, Tommy Lee was equal to his effort. 

The referee signalled the end of the first half and it was a half in which the Spireites dominated throughout.

The second half couldn’t have started much worse for the Spireites. Kevin Ellison pounced on a mix-up between Evatt and Lee and flicked a header past the 'keeper to grab a goal back.

Morecambe were unfortunate not to close the gap just a minute later. A header by Amond just dropped over the crossbar and from the resulting corner, Jack Sampson’s header sailed over the bar. 

This momentum kicked both Morecambe players and fans into action and it made for an interesting half for the Spireites.

Against the run of play, the Spireites should have regained their three goal lead. McSheffrey’s ball found the head of Doyle; he nodded it down for O’Shea, but his effort blazed over and into the crowd.

Morecambe managed to gain another goal back on the 60th minute. Captain, Hughes was given space in the six yard box and put the ball past Lee to make it a nervy half an hour for the Spireites. 

Andrew Wright earned the first yellow of the afternoon for Morecambe after bringing down Darikwa when he was breaking away.

Ryan Edwards was introduced into the game, replacing the impressive O’Shea. The Spireites looked to change into a 5-3-2 formation, with McSheffrey joining Doyle upfront.

The home side levelled the game up at 3-3 in the 70th minute. Ryan Williams delivered a free kick and Sampson applied the finish past Lee to level up the scores.

Chesterfield made their second substitution of the afternoon with Jamie Devitt replacing winger, Darikwa. Morecambe also made a substitution with Andy Fleming replacing Williams.

Since the break, Morecambe dominated and looked the only team to gain the decisive goal. Amond really should have done better with a header with ten minutes remaining. 

Chesterfield had to do something in order to gain the upper hand, and Chris Porter was introduced for his debut in place of goalscorer, McSheffrey.

A rare Spireites break saw Doyle force Roche into action, tipping an effort around the post, but from the resulting corner, the Shrimps cleared.

As the minutes ticked away, the Irishman again forced an opening for himself, but his shot rebounded off the post and out of play. 

Morecambe completed their emphatic comeback through Amond. A superb ball from Sampson fell straight onto the head of the former Accrington man and he powered it past Lee and give the Shrimps the lead.

Sampson caused the Spireites many problems in the second half and really should have extended the home sides lead, but his effort flashed wide.

The referee signalled the end of proceedings in a game the Spireites will love the see the back of.

Morecambe: Roche; Kenyon, Hughes (c), Diagne (Threlfall 84'), Wright, Sampson, Williams (Fleming 78'), Ellison, Drummond, Parrish, Amond (McGee 90').

Subs not used: Arestidou, Marshall, Mwasile, Doyle.

Chesterfield: Lee; Hird, Cooper, Evatt (c), Humphreys; Ryan, Morsy, Darikwa (Devitt 74'), O'Shea (Edwards 69'), McSheffrey (Porter 81'), Doyle. 

Subs not used: Chapman, Banks, Togwell, Brown.

Goals: Morecambe (Ellison 46', Hughes, 61', Sampson 69', Amond 85') 4 - 3 Chesterfield (Doyle 4', 22', McSheffrey 11')

Attendance: 2,204 (584 Chesterfield)

Advertisement block