Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield Draw at Fleetwood

12 October 2013

Sponsored by

Chesterfield came away from Fleetwood with a point after Jon Parkin hit a late leveller to secure a draw.

Liam Cooper put the Spireites ahead ten minutes after half time, but Parkin equalised with only minutes remaining. 

Chesterfield made four changes to the side that beat local rivals Mansfield Town midweek. Drew Talbot and Ritchie Humphreys recovered from their knocks and replaced Ryan Edwards and Jamie Devitt.

Midweek goalscorer, Gary McSheffrey and Jay O’Shea dropped to the bench and were replaced by Tendayi Darikwa and Eoin Doyle.

After an even opening, it was Fleetwood that had the first couple of opportunities of the game. Jamille Matt and Junior Brown both had chances but Antoni Sarcevic should have done better from a header, however, it sailed over the bar.

Liam Cooper and Ryan Cresswell both entered the referee’s notebook with only 20 minutes of the game played.

The Spireites started to grab a foothold in the game. Chris Porter went close with a header and the striker nearly got on the end of a Doyle cross but the ball unfortunately evaded him. 

After a quiet half an hour, Tommy Lee was forced into his first piece of action. A well worked free kick routine fell to Jeff Hughes and Lee did well to tip his effort away and out of danger.

Minutes later, Darikwa found space 25 yards out and unleashed a drive, but unfortunately for the Spireites, Scott Davies pulled off a wonderful save to keep it out.

Doyle’s pace was causing a lot of problems for the Fleetwood defence and his cross picked out Humphreys in space, but his shot was blocked off the line by a defender.

Sam Morsy twice found space and had shots from distance but neither effort troubled the Fleetwood goalkeeper.

Just before half time, Nathan Pond found the net for Fleetwood, but the linesman flag was up and the goal was disallowed.

The Spireites had a chance to nick a goal just before the break. Drew Talbot’s cross found Humphreys in space but the wingers volley smashed was wide of the post.

Chesterfield started the second half on the front foot and should really have taken the lead. Darikwa’s initial strike was spilled by the goalkeeper; Porter followed up but unfortunately missed the target.

The Spireites took the lead on the 54th minute. Cooper rose the highest from a Humphreys cross and powered a header past Davies to give Chesterfield the lead.

Pressure followed for the Spireites as they searched for another to give them some breathing space. Humphreys picked up the ball on the edge of the box and his effort deflected wide of the post.

Sarcevic started to dictate the play and was unfortunate not to level the scores just after the hour mark. He danced through the defence but Lee was equal to the effort.

This seemed to lift the home crowd and Fleetwood responded with a sustained period of pressure. Ryan Cresswell headed over the bar when he really should have done much better.

From the resulting goal kick, Chesterfield goalkeeper, Lee was booked for time wasting.

Darikwa’s pace was really causing the Cod Army a problem and as he broke, the ball was put on a plate for Porter, but the striker missed the target from six yards out.

Fleetwood earned themselves a penalty with only 20 minutes of the game remaining. Ian Evatt fouled a Cod Army striker but Hughes penalty was hit high and wide.

Talbot, Porter and Humphreys’ afternoon came to an end as they were replaced by McSheffrey, Togwell and O’Shea.

The home side were being restricted to shots from distance as the Spireites back line were standing firm.

A lot of the chances were being created by Fleetwood were coming from the head of Matt. He again rose above the defence but his header was nodded over the bar.

Substitute Jon Parkin levelled the scores with only two minutes of normal time remaining. A cross wasn’t dealt with in the Chesterfield area and the ball fell for Parkin who smashed past Lee to equalise against the run of play.

The Spireites didn’t let the goal unsettle them and went in search of a winner. O’Shea was fouled on the edge of the box but his free kick was poor and soon after, the referee signalled the end of the game.

Fleetwood Town: Davies; Howell, Murdoch (Ball 68'), Pond, Matt, Hughes, Brown, Hogan, Cresswell (c), Sarcevic (Blair 85'), Crowther (Parkin 80').

Subs not used: Roberts, Schumacher, McLaughlin, Lucas.

Chesterfield: Lee; Talbot (O'Shea 72'), Hird, Evatt (c), Cooper; Ryan, Morsy, Darikwa, Doyle, Humphreys (McSheffrey 72'); Porter (Togwell 77').

Subs not used: Chapman, Edwards, Banks, Devitt.

Goals: Fleetwood Town (Parkin 88') 1 - 1 Chesterfield (Cooper 55')

Attendance: 4,521 (1,055 Chesterfield)

Advertisement block