Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 23/11/2013

23 November 2013

Sponsored by

Chesterfield Defeat Chairboys

Two first half headers for Chesterfield were enough to seal a comfortable 2-0 victory over Wycombe Wanderers.

Ollie Banks opened the scoring on the half hour mark and just before half time, Armand Gnanduillet thundered his header past the Wycombe goalkeeper to give Chesterfield their fourth consecutive win in all competitions. 

Tommy Lee captained the side on his 200th appearance for the club and kept another clean sheet to take his tally for the season to eight in the league.

The Spireites named an unchanged line-up for the third consecutive game meaning new loan signing Callum McFadzean could only settle for a place on the bench. 

After a slow opening to the game, it was Gnanduillet that had the first clear cut chance of the afternoon. The Frenchman picked it up on the edge of the area but his volley was comfortably saved by Wycombe goalkeeper, Matt Ingram. 

The Spireites started to dictate the play and were finding holes in the Chairboys back line but were finding clear cut chances hard to come by.

With 30 minutes on the clock, Chesterfield’s endeavour paid off as they took the lead. Jay O’Shea received the ball out wide and delivered a beautiful cross into the box and Banks crisply headed the ball past the goalkeeper to make it four goals in three games for the midfielder. 

The Spireites started to look comfortable after the goal with Wycombe’s only attempt of the first half coming from 25 yards out which captain, Stuart Lewis blasted over the bar and didn't trouble Lee.

Chesterfield did double their lead on the stroke of half time via the head of Gnanduillet. Gary Roberts’ corner landed straight onto the head of the Frenchman and he powered the ball past the goalkeeper for his fourth league goal of the season. 

Wycombe came out for the second half showing more intent and Lee did very well to save on his near post from Sunderland loanee, Billy Knott.

Ian Evatt was the first player of the afternoon to be booked after a collision with Paris Cowan-Hall and five minutes later, O’Shea received a caution for a cynical trip as Wycombe tried to break. 

The Spireites made a double substitution on the hour mark as McFadzean and Tendayi Darikwa replaced Banks and O’Shea. 

As Wycombe tried to find an opening, the Spireites defence were holding firm. Former Spireite, Dean Morgan was introduced and had a chance from 20 yards soon after but the shot went wide of Lee’s post.

The visitors were enjoying their best spell of possession during the game and Gary Doherty really should have pulled a goal back for the Chairboys. His free header on 70 minutes failed to find the target and the chance went begging. 

The Spireites continued searching for the third goal but faced attack after attack from Wycombe who were searching for a way back into the game. 

With only a couple of minutes of the game remaining, Chesterfield made their third and final substitution as Gnanduillet was replaced by Irishman, Eoin Doyle.

The Spireites comfortably saw the game out and sit joint top of the Sky Bet League Two table.

Chesterfield: Lee (c); Talbot, Evatt, Cooper, Humphreys; Hird, Ryan, O'Shea (Darikwa 62'), Banks (McFadzean 62'), Roberts; Gnanduillet (Doyle 88').

Subs not used: Chapman, Togwell, Devitt, Richards.

Wycombe Wanderers: Ingram, McCoy, Scowen, Stewart, Lewis (c), Wood, Cowan-Hall (Kretzschmar 84'), Craig, Knott (Bloomfield 90+4'), McClure (Morgan 60'), Doherty.

Subs not used: Dunne, Johnson, Horlock, Morias.

Goals: Chesterfield (Banks 31', Gnanduillet 45+1') 2 - 0 Wycombe Wanderers

Attendance: 5,798 (146 Wycombe Wanderers)

Advertisement block