Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth Report: CFC 0-2 York

18 March 2013

Sponsored by

Chesterfield's youth team suffered their first league defeat in three as they lost 2-0 to York City at Warminster road.

Goals from strikers Chris Dickinson and Ollie Smith gave York City the victory over a Chesterfield side that struggled to get going.

Manager Dave Bentley made three changes to the side that lost 2-0 to Walsall in the Midlands Youth Cup semi-final, with Cameron Mason, Joe Mathers and Oliver Brock coming in for Josh Barrington, Fabien Johnson and the injured Alex Hewitt.

York started the brighter of the two, striker Dickenson capitalised on a poor pass from Brock, but dragged his 20 yard effort wide of Mason’s goal.

Just moments later Chesterfield had their own chance to grab an early lead. Joe Mathers sent winger Mark Fereday through on goal but his cross evaded everybody, including City ‘keeper Josh Archer.

The Spireites came close again, this time through Cormac Noel. The winger was picked out by a pin-point cross-field pass by Joshua Scully, he turned inside, leaving a defender in his wake, but dragged his effort just wide.

Against the run of play York took the lead after catching Chesterfield on the break. Striker Ollie Smith gathered the ball inside the box and evaded an attempted challenge from centre-half Tim Whitaker before unleashing a powerful shot which, from a tight angle, went in off the post.

Just seconds later the visitors came close to doubling their lead, only to be denied by some good defending from captain Jack Broadhead. A good pass from York’s midfield deceived everyone sending Dickenson through on goal, the striker beat the onrushing Mason to the ball, but saw his headed effort cleared off the line by Broadhead who injured himself in the process.

Chesterfield then had a chance to grab an equaliser before half time. Scully’s quick free kick found full back Jordan Slack unmarked out wide, his cross was met by the diving head of striker Bradley Bowland 10 yards out but his headed effort flew over Archer's goal.

The home side also had the first chance of the second half as Noel gathered the ball outside the box before unleashing a near post effort that was saved well by Archer. The winger had a second bite at the cherry but struck the rebound wide.

Chesterfield continued to press and came close again through Bowland. Mark Fereday found the run of the striker with a clever through ball, however his first time volley was hit just inches wide.

Despite pressure from the hosts, it was York who would score next. Midfielder Dan Middleton tackled Cormac Noel just outside the Chesterfield box, his clever pass found Smith unmarked 5 yards from goal, and he slotted into the empty net.

Bentley then made two substitutions in hope of finding a goal, with Fabien Johnson and under 16’s midfielder Mitchell Mullins coming on for Brock and Mathers.

With just 15 minutes left Chesterfield came close to setting up a nervy finish for their opponents. Joshua Scully played a smart one-two with Noel before hitting a effort from the edge of the box, only to be denied by a smart save from Archer.

In the end Chesterfield did well to weather a late York City storm and keep the score at 2-0, and manager Dave Bentley couldn't hide his disappointment at the final whistle.

He said: “I thought we were poor today, we lost to the better side and that was obvious today.

“We were poor defensively for both goals, and that’s something we are going to have to work on in the next few days.”

Next up for the young Spireites is a home tie with Doncaster on Saturday, March 23.

Chesterfield team: Mason, Slack, Broadhead, Whitaker, McNicholas, Fereday, Brock (Mullins), Scully, Noel (Partridge), Mathers (Johnson) & Bowland.

Advertisement block