Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Griffiths Sends Wolves Home Victorious

23 July 2013

Sponsored by

Chesterfield suffered their second defeat of pre-season, losing 2-1 to League One outfit Wolverhampton Wanders at a soggy Proact Stadium.

The Spireites came into the game on the back of a defeat, suffered on Saturday against, Southport. Wolves came into the game without defeat in pre-season, having drawn 2-2 with Barnsley at the weekend.

After a quiet opening, it was Wolves that took the lead. The ball was cut back to Dave Edwards who rifled home from 10-yards past a helpless Tommy Lee.  

Minutes later, Jimmy Ryan ventured on a mazy run and unleashed an effort that was palmed wide by Wolves stopper, Carl Ikeme.

The Spireites then started to get a grip of the game. Jay O’Shea and Gary Roberts both had excellent chances but both were denied. O’Shea had an effort deflected wide for a corner, whilst Roberts couldn’t direct his header on target. 

Just before the half hour mark, the Spireites were level. Drew Talbot picked up the ball on the right wing, cut inside his defender, and unleashed a shot that was deflected past Ikeme and equalised for Chesterfield.

Minutes later, Doyle nearly latched onto a long through-ball and went down under a challenge from a Wolves defender, but the referee waved away the protests. 

Chances were limited from then on, but Sam Morsy did have a jinking run and shot, which deflected for a corner. Matty Brown thought he’d given Chesterfield the lead just before half-time, but his header went the wrong side of the post.

Wolves came out the strongest in the second half. Griffiths was denied an opportunity at goal by Spireite-stopper, Lee. The ball fell to Edwards, but he sliced his effort over the bar and into the North Stand. 

Chesterfield’s first attempt of the half came on 54 minutes. Roberts carried the ball from the half-way line; the ball fell to Doyle, whose shot blocked. Ryan picked the ball back up and laid it off to O’Shea, but the attacker couldn’t direct his shot on target. 

After a flurry of substitutions for the Spireites, it was Wolves that nearly took the lead. A floated ball into the box fell on the head of Edwards, but Lee produced a beautiful save low down to prevent the goal.

Danny Batth should have done better with a header, just after the hour mark. Jake Cassidy’s pin-point cross landed on the head of Batth, but his effort sailed wide of Lee’s goal.

A minute later and Wolves regained the lead. Griffiths latched onto a superbly-weighted through-ball from Lee Evans, and the striker finished with ease past the onrushing Lee.

Wolves, who then started to dominate, should have extended their lead. A deflected cross from the impressive Griffiths was latched onto by substitute Zele Ismail, but his header struck the crossbar and the danger was averted.

After a quiet ten minutes, Gnanduillet went close to forcing an equaliser. The French-man nodded the ball on to Darikwa, who crossed from the by-line back to the striker, but his effort was well saved by Ikeme down to his left-hand post.

After Richards had a free-kick saved by the Wolves goalkeeper, it was the visitors who thought they had extended their lead, but the linesman’s flag prevented the goal. 

Played in-front of 2,469 supporters, it was Wolves that gained the victory. Chesterfield face Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday hoping for a better result. 

Goals: Chesterfield (Talbot 29') Wolves (Edwards 7', Griffiths 65')

Chesterfield: Lee (Chapman 82'), Talbot (Hird 73'), Cooper (Broadhead 87'), Brown (Edwards 57'), Humphreys (Smith 57'), Morsy (Bencherif 60'), Ryan (Darikwa 57'), Togwell (Morgan 73'), O'Shea (Richards 57'), Roberts (Devitt 73'), Doyle (Gnanduillet 57').

Attendance: 2,469

Advertisement block