Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 14/12/2013

14 December 2013

Sponsored by

Chesterfield Defeat The Pilgrims

Matty Brown had a eventful debut as he scored the opener before he was sent off in the second half during Chesterfield’s 2-0 victory over Plymouth Argyle.

The defender put the Spireites ahead before Marc Richards smashed a penalty after he had earlier been brought down.

Mid way through the second half, Brown was adjudged to have brought down substitute Caolan Lavery but Tommy Lee saved Reuben Reid’s spot kick to ensure another clean sheet for the goalkeeper.

The Spireites made a couple of changes to the side that won after penalties over Oldham in midweek. Brown came in for his Spireites debut and there was a start for Sam Togwell in midfield, replacing the injured Jimmy Ryan.

After early Chesterfield dominance, they did force a lead in the opening ten minutes. Ritchie Humphreys delivered a pinpoint cross onto the head of Brown who nodded it past Luke McCormick to give the Spireites a perfect start.

A rare attack from the visitors nearly saw them level ten minutes later. A clever quick free kick from Reid found Lewis Alessandra in space but the striker hit his effort wide of Tommy Lee’s post.

The visitors started to force a way back into the game as Conor Hourihane and Romuald Boco both went close with efforts mid way through the half.

Just after the half hour mark, there was a lengthy stoppage as Armand Gnanduillet was forced off with what looked like a suspected dislocated shoulder and he was replaced by Callum McFadzean.

The Spireites were given a chance to extend their lead on 40 minutes as they were awarded for a penalty as Richards was brought down in the box. The striker picked himself up and tucked the penalty past the goalkeeper to extend Chesterfield’s lead.

The fourth official announced five minutes of additional time and that seemed to lift the visitors. After crisp neat play in the middle, Alessandra found space but his shot was saved by Lee, who was equal to the effort.

The Spireites started the second half with a change as Jay O’Shea replaced Richards, who picked up a foot injury in the first half.

The Irishman instantly made an impact as he curled an effort towards goal but goalkeeper, McCormick plucked the ball from the top corner to prevent the Spireites adding a third.

The game turned on the hour mark as goal scorer Brown was sent off as substitute Lavery went through on goal. The referee awarded his second penalty of the game and brandished the defender with a red card.

Reid stepped up to take the penalty but Lee guessed the right way and was the hero once again with a penalty save.

The visitors, with the man advantage, started peppering the Spireites goal but the defence was standing firm. Hourihane and Andres Gurrieiri both had half chances to pull the Pilgrims level but both efforts weren’t troubling Lee.

Again, the Spireites stopper was forced into action to keep out Lavery at his far post. The striker found himself in acres of space but Lee expertly saved his header with a one handed tip wide.

With time ticking away, the Spireites never really looked in doubt and always looked in control of the result.

Gary McSheffrey was introduced late on for the Spireites in place of the impressive Tendayi Darikwa. Soon after, the referee signalled the end of the game and it’s another three points for the Spireites.

Chesterfield: Lee; Talbot, Evatt (c), Brown, Humphreys; Darikwa (90+2'), Hird, Togwell, Doyle; Richards (O'Shea 45'), Gnanduillet (McFadzean 34').

Subs: Chapman, Devitt, Broadhead.

Plymouth: McCormick, Berry (Reckord 77'), Blanchard, Hourihane, Alessandra, Boco (Lavery 55'), Reid, Blizzard (Young 77'), Trotman, Nelson, Gurrieri.

Subs not used: Cole, Branston, Wotton, Bencherif.

Goals: Chesterfield (Brown 9', Richards 42' PEN) 2 - 0 Plymouth Argyle (Reid missed PEN 64')

Attendance: 5,486 (472 Plymouth)

Advertisement block