Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Hull Youth 3-1 Chesterfield Youth

27 August 2013

Sponsored by

The Spireites youth team were defeated 3-1 in their second league fixture of the season, losing 3-1 away to a strong Hull City Tigers side.

The home side took an early two-goal lead, but Chesterfield hit back through Jake Beesly before half time. Although the Spireites dominated the second half, Hull sealed the game with five minutes remaining. Youth Team Coach, Mark Smith, was disappointed to lose, however couldn’t fault the Spireites effort. 

He said: “The standard of the Hull City players might be slightly higher than ours. The result is disappointing because we never like to lose, but at least the performance was encouraging and we need to build on that.” 

“I think you’ve got to take the positives from the game. We’ve gone to a very strong side who is one of the better teams in the division and there wasn’t much difference between us.”

Hull took the lead after only ten minutes. A set-piece wasn’t dealt with correctly and a Tigers player prodded the ball past Miles Wright in the Chesterfield goal.

The home side extended their lead through controversial circumstances. A clear offside was missed by the linesman, and a Hull striker tapped home to give the Tigers a two-goal lead.

Chesterfield responded well and the offside decision seemed to spur the Spireites on.

Just before half time, the Spireites pulled a goal back. After great work by Ben Partridge on the right, the midfielder got to the byline and pulled it back for Beesly to slot past the Tigers goalkeeper. 

Chesterfield forced chance after chance in the second half, but unfortunately couldn’t get past the Hull stopper. 

After good link-up play in the midfield, the ball fell to Mason Coy who had been a threat all afternoon. His effort beat the keeper, but rebounded off the post and the ball fell to safety.  

Partridge twice went close to bringing the score-line level. His first shot was blocked and the goalkeeper made a superb stop from the second chance. 

For all the Spireites dominance, it was Hull that sealed the game with five minutes remaining. The Hull striker took the ball past the defence and calmly slotted the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper. 

Smith, who joined the club over the summer, admitted the players would be doing extra shooting practice during training this week. He commented: “We were making chances but we weren’t actually finishing them off.

“We need to work on improving our finishing, but we’ve gone to a place like that and really caused them problems. We just need a little bit of quality at times and we should be alright.”

Advertisement block