Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 27/04/2013

27 April 2013

Sponsored by

Lester Steals the Show

Chesterfield talisman, Jack Lester, scored twice on his final outing for the Spireites. A fitting send off for a player who will forever be remembered by the Chesterfield faithful.

It was a cold, wet and blustery start at the Proact Stadium that saw many stray passes and both teams struggling to maintain possession.

Exeter went close in the opening five minutes after Conor Townsend lost the ball deep in his own half, Alan Gow advanced towards the area but saw his effort fall inches wide of Richard O'Donnell's post.

Drew Talbot intervened decisively to prevent Gow netting a matter of minutes later, the Grecians forward broke through the Chesterfield defensive line but Talbot nicked the ball away and cleared the danger.

Chesterfield took the lead midway through the first half, Jay O'Shea lost his marker with a smart turn on the angle of the area before firing a beautiful effort into the far corner of the net.

Exeter had an opportunity to equalise soon after. A Neal Trotman deflected tackle fell kindly to Scott Bennett just outside the area, but the Grecians winger could only send his first-time effort sailing over the bar.

The Spireites doubled their lead on the half-hour mark. Townsend swung an accurate free-kick from right midfield towards the near post where Marc Richards rose well to nod the ball past Artur Krysiak. 

The moment every Spireites fan was waiting for arrived on the 34-minute mark, Lester was tripped in the area and Chesterfield were awarded their first penalty in 61 league games. Lester stepped up and chipped the penalty straight down the middle of the goal with all the poise and confidence Spireites fans have become so used to seeing from Chesterfield's number 14.

As the half progressed, Exeter searched for a goal and a way back into the game. Talbot made another crucial tackle to prevent a Grecians effort from a matter of yards out. Soon after, O'Donnell was forced to scramble across his goal-line to make a smart save from a well-directed Gow free-kick.

The Spireites saw out the half and went into the break with a convincing 3-0 lead.

Chesterfield nearly scored straight after half-time, Lester flicked the ball to Richards on the edge of the area with a tidy back-heel, Richards then played the ball to O'Shea on the Spireites left wing who narrowly missed Krysiak's goal with his first-time effort. 

Lester got his second of the game and Chesterfield's fourth on the one-hour mark. The veteran striker beat the offside trap to get on the end of a Jay O'Shea through ball and finished well past the Exeter 'keeper sending the Proact into delirium. 

The arena was brought to a standstill 15 minutes from the end as Lester left the Proact pitch for the last time, he walked off to a standing ovation from every corner of the ground as he was subbed for Alex Henshall. 

Tendayi Darikwa nearly added a fifth in the closing stages of the game, Danny Whitaker held the ball up and waited for the overlapping run of Darikwa before playing a through ball. However, the Chesterfield winger couldn't get his effort on target and sent the ball just over the bar.

O'Donnell made a fantastic double-save just before the end, Lawson D'Ath broke clear and faced the Spireites 'keeper one-on-one. D'Ath directed his effort on target but O'Donnell got down to his right and parried the ball away from goal, he then quickly recovered to save the follow-up effort and keep his clean sheet in tact. 

Chesterfield: O'Donnell; Talbot, Trotman, Cooper, Townsend; Darikwa, Togwell, Randall, O'Shea (Whitaker 65'); Richards (Gnanduillet 71'), Lester (Henshall 75').

Unused subs: Barrington, Clay, Hird, Hazel.

Goals: O'Shea 22', Richards 30', Lester 34', 60'.

Exeter City: Krysiak, Woodman (Anderson 63'), Bennett, Coles, Gow, Davies, Dawson, D'Ath, Rodgers (Gosling 68'), Reid (Chamberlain 54'), Moore-Taylor.

Unused subs: Doherty, O'Flynn, Keohane, Evans.

Goals: N/A

Referee: Mr Tony Bates

Attendance: 5,762

Advertisement block