Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield Yth 0-1 Notts County Yth

9 December 2012

Sponsored by

Chesterfield’s youth team suffered a second defeat on the bounce after losing 1-0 to Notts County at a cold Warminster Road on Saturday. 

Country striker Kyle Dixon scored the only goal of the game three minutes from time after a very tight game. 

Spireites boss Dave Bentley welcomed back defender Tim Whitaker to the starting eleven as he replaced Laurence Maguire in the heart of the defence. Ben Partridge replaced Bradley Bowland who missed the encounter through a groin injury. 

Chesterfield started the brighter of the two teams but came close to conceding early on, County midfielder Mathew Crust headed just wide after being found by a Kameron Campbell throw in. 

Alex Hewitt had the Spireites first real effort at goal, forcing a good save from 'keeper Fabian Spiess after a well hit shot from 25 yards. 

Cormac Noel also saw a chance come and go early on, he used his pace well to run through the county defence; however his shot was blocked and went out for a corner. 

Chesterfield had more of the possession during the first half and almost broke the deadlock only to be denied again by some good defending. Ben Partridge did well to win the ball on the byline, he then drove into the box and pulled it back to Beesley, who’s powerful effort was blocked on the line. 

It was then County's turn to come close, midfielder Elliot Hooge made space to pull off a shot six yards out but was tackled well by captain Jack Broadhead. 

Josh Scully forced a fantastic save from Spiess just before half time. The midfielder gathered the ball at the half way line before running through the County midfield and unleashing a powerful effort which looked destined for goal. 

Chesterfield were almost caught napping less than a minute into the second half. Dixon fed his strike partner Glodi Range through on goal but Tim Whitaker was alert and made a last ditch tackle. 

County thought they had opened the scoring just moments later, a pinpoint cross from full back Campbell found Crust unmarked in the box, his header looped over Josh Barrington and into the net only for it to be ruled out for offside.

Chesterfield brought on midfielder Oliver Brock and striker Fabien Johnson in place of Ben Partridge and Sam Beesley in order to try and find a goal. They were unlucky not to as well after Hewitt forced another save from Spiess from distance, and from the resulting corner Scully came close, his shot just flying past the post.

Chesterfield continued to press and came close to opening the scoring, captain Jack Broadhead headed a Scully corner on target only for it to be cleared off the line.

As the game looked destined to finish goalless, Chesterfield were hit on the counter. County striker Dixon picked up the ball midway in the Chesterfield half ran through the onrushing defence and slotted home through the legs of Barrington to give his side the lead with just three minutes remaining.

The Spireites had a chance to equalise with just second’s left on the clock, winger Mark Fereday hit his shot just over from the edge of the box after good work by Josh Scully.

The defeat is Chesterfield’s second in as many games, but despite the loss manager Dave Bentley remains upbeat. He said : “I thought we played really well today.

“We held a good tight backline and hardly gave them anything at all, we were just caught napping and some of the basics let us down.

“We have a long break now, and this is good for us as we still have a few players out with injury and it’ll be nice coming back with a near clean bill of health.”

Next up for the young Spireites is a tough away trip to Lincoln city in the Midlands Youth Cup on Wednesday, January 9.

Chesterfield line up: Barrington; Edridge, Whitaker, Broadhead, McNicholas; Partridge (Brock), Hewitt, Scully, Noel; Fereday, Beesley (Johnson)

Advertisement block