Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

16 December 2017 Venue Adams Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW: Wycombe Wanderers

15 December 2017

Robbie Weir’s injury time winner on Saturday, helped extend the Spireites’ unbeaten Sky Bet League Two run to six games and next up is a trip to Wycombe Wanderers tomorrow, 3pm. Here’s our match preview…..


Tickets are now off sale at the Proact ticket office and online, however supporters can purchase tickets on the day at Adams Park, subject to a £2 price increase.

Prices for tomorrow’s match are as follows (including price increase): -

Category Price
Adults £22
Senior citizens (60 & over) £19
Young adults (19-25) £17
Juniors (12-18) £13
U11s £7

Team news

Wycombe will be without long-term absentees Michael Harriman (broken leg) and Josh Umerah (ankle) who continue their rehabilitation.

Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County striker Nathan Tyson returns to the first-team squad after a spell on the side-lines.

Chesterfield will continue to be without long term absentees Joe Anyon, Gozie Ugwu, Jordan Sinnott and Jordan Flores.

Andy Kellett should be ok to play after being withdrawn early last weekend, though Bradley Barry and Laurence Maguire will also miss out with hamstring and thigh injuries respectively.

Manager – Gareth Ainsworth

Ainsworth has been Wycombe manager since 2012, guiding the Chairboys to the League Two playoff final in 2015, where they were defeated on penalties by Southend Un

The Englishman was player/manager from 2012-2014 and made a total of 116 appearances for the club. Prior to his time with Wycombe he enjoyed a lengthy career spanning two decades, which included spells at Queens Park Rangers, Wimbledon, Preston North End and Port Vale. The midfielder made total of 617 appearances and scoring 118 goals.

During Ainsworth’s time at QPR he had two caretaker manager roles. First one coming in 2008 and following the sacking of Paulo Sousa in 2009.

Ainsworth has guided the Chairboys to fifth position in Sky Bet League Two and his side are in good form at Adams Park, winning their last four matches in all competitions.

One to watch – Adebayo Akinfenwa

Better well-known as ‘the Beast’ due to his size, Akinfenwa is debatably the most famous footballer in the EFL.

The 35-year-old striker has enjoyed a good start to this season’s campaign, getting himself 11 goals and six assists, with his latest strike coming in Sunday's FA Cup second round win over Leatherhead.

Akinfenwa has played in League One and Two throughout his entire career, having had spells with AFC Wimbledon, Gillingham, Millwall, Northampton Town and Swansea City. During his spell at AFC Wimbledon, Akinfenwa scored against boyhood club Liverpool in the third round of the FA Cup, Liverpool went on the win the tie 2-1

Head to head

Wycombe have played the Spireites on 32 previous occasions. With the full record between the two teams standing as follows:

Wycombe - 15 (wins).

Draws - 5.

Chesterfield - 12 wins.

The Spireites last win in Buckinghamshire came in October 2010, when two goals from Craig Davies either side of a Ben Strevens strike gave Town a 2-1 victory.

From the Dugout

First team coach Tommy Wright is expecting a test at Adams Park tomorrow, but given Town’s recent form he sees no reason why they can’t extend their unbeaten run in the league.

He said: “We know how they play, we have to deal with that, but it’s mainly about how we play.

“If we play to our full potential I think we can beat anybody in this league.”

Can’t get to Buckinghamshire? Fear not you’ll still be able to follow all the action.

Across match day we'll have: 

- Live commentary, exclusive to the internet, on iFollow. 

- Minute-by-minute coverage for the club's Twitter page.

- Updates and images from the club's Facebook and Instagram feeds. 

- Stats and reaction across the weekend on the official site.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Unbeaten Run Ended at Wycombe

16 December 2017

Chesterfield’s six-match unbeaten run in Sky Bet League Two came to an end this afternoon, after a 1-0 defeat at Wycombe Wanderers.

Chairboys midfielder Luke O’Nein scored the only goal of the game in the 54th minute.

Scott Wiseman was the only change to Jack Lester’s side, coming in for Bradley Barry at right back. Cameron Dawson continued in goal for his first away trip in a Spireites shirt, with Adams Park a venue the young keeper is familiar with, having made one appearance during an emergency loan spell last season. 

Dawson was tested early into his return as Wycombe had the first chance after two minutes. Craig Mackail-Smith forced the keeper to smother his shot after a cross fell to him at the edge of the box.

Town had their first opening after five minutes as Joe Rowley was played through by Louis Reed, but his low cross from the right was failed to pick out a white shirt.

Shortly after, neat build up play from Town involving Rowley, Jak McCourt, saw Andy Kellett played into the box, sadly he couldn’t keep his feet and Wanderers were able to clear.

On 17 minutes, Jerome Binnom-Williams gave away a foul. Akinfenwa got his head to the resulting freekick, but his header was straight at Dawson. Bizarrely, the referee ordered the freekick to be taken again following a tangle in the box. It was Akinfenwa again who met the ball, but his header slipped harmlessly out for a goal kick.

On 25 minutes Dawson pulled off a fantastic double save to maintain the deadlock. A cross from the left wasn’t cleared, allowing the ball to fall to Akinfenwa. The outstretched Ian Evatt did well to prevent the shot, but was helpless to stop the ball falling to Mackail-Smith. Step up Dawson who made a brilliant left-handed point blank save and then did well to stop an onrushing Nathan Tyson striking the rebound.

The home side went close again as Tyson blazed over on 29 minutes following a period of head tennis in the Chesterfield penalty area.

Despite the home side’s chances, Chesterfield were growing into what was a scrappy game, with the marauding Rowley and Binnom-Williams both finding space to get in behind the Wycombe back line. Rowley had a couple of crosses blocked and Binnon-Williams, following a twisting run had a cross blocked for a corner.

In the resulting melee Spireites fans were calling for a penalty after Kristian Dennis tumbled in the box, but their calls fell on deaf ears as referee Nicholas Kinseley waved play on.

On 44 minutes, Spireite hearts were in their mouths as a foul was given away by Robbie Weir in a dangerous area; dead centre of the goal and 25 yards out. Sam Saunders bent the resulting kick against the top of the bar, but luckily Town were able to clear the bouncing ball.

Wycombe were the brighter in the initial stages of the second half, Jak McCourt was booked for dissent and Dawson was forced into conceding a corner after dropping a bouncing ball. But the Spireites defence continued to look resolute as they started to forge their own chances.

Their best of the game, to that point, came shortly after, as Wiseman received the ball out wide following a brilliant passing move involving Rowley, Reed and McCourt. Dennis looked like he would get a toe on the low cross, but was denied by ‘keeper Scott Brown.

It was an opportunity Town would rue shortly after, as they fell behind on 54 minutes after O’Nien drove low past a hapless Dawson from the edge of the box.

Despite falling behind, the goal seemed to spur Chesterfield into action; McCourt disappointingly drove wide and the lively Binnom-Williams earned a free kick when he was brought down after another mazy run. Unfortunately, Louis Reed saw his effort from 25-yards out, bounce back off the wall.

Akinfenwa was continuing to look dangerous for the home side and brought the ball down well, held off the approaching Spireites defenders, luckily, the impressive Dawson parried his effort from the left.

Play stopped temporarily on 66 minutes following a clash of heads between Rowley and O’Nien. Fortunately, both players were able to continue. Town continued to plug away, enjoying good spells of possession in the Wycombe half, frustratingly they just couldn’t seem to find the final ball.

Wycombe nearly doubled their lead through Eberechi Eze on the break, who curled wide of Dawson’s goal after a knock down from Akinfenwa.

On 70 minutes, Chris O’Grady replaced Kellett as Lester switched to a 4-4-2 in an attempt to find an equaliser. Reed moved out to wide left.

It looked like the elusive attempt on goal would come five minutes later, as Binnom-Williams played a fine pass to Dennis on the halfway line, he fed Rowley on the right who then advance before shooting over from the edge of the penalty area; his appeals for a corner were waved away.

Frustration got the better of Dennis on 79 minutes as he was booked for preventing Brown from taking a goal kick; it was annoying for Spireites fans as the Wycombe ‘keeper continued to take his time over every kick.

It was Dennis’s last involvement as he was replaced for the final 10 minutes by Ricky German. The final Spireites change came on 85 minutes as Connor Dimaio replaced Robbie Weir.

Dimaio’s first involvement was to take a freekick, received after Binnon-Williams was fouled by Sido Jombati, unfortunately his cross from the left was narrowly out of Brown’s reach and wide of the post.

Town continued to push for the equaliser and were rewarded with another freekick after Paris Cowan-Hall went in hard on O’Grady; again Reed’s effort failed to test the keeper.

Despite the approach of the final whistle, Chesterfield were patient with their passing and remained camped in the Wycombe half, but could still not find a breakthrough.

Their high pressure was nearly punished as the ball broke for Cowan-Hall and his pace took him past the Spireites backline and into the box. Hearts were in mouths as he was brought down by the onrushing Dawson, thankfully the whistle was blown for offside.

Six minutes additional time were shown, but the Cowan-Hall chance was the final real action of the match, as Chesterfield’s attempts, largely longball’s from the back were thwarted. Brown did receive a booking for his extended goal kicks, but the whistle sounded fulltime moments later.

It was frustrating and arguably undeserved way to end the unbeaten streak.

Wycombe: Brown, Jombati, Jacobson, Stewart, El-Abd (C), O’Nien, Saunders, Eze (Bloomfield 85'), Mackail-Smith (Southwell 90'), Akinfenwa, Tyson (Cowan-Hall 73').

Subs: Ma-Kalambay, Gape, Freeman, Scarr.

Chesterfield: Dawson, Binnom-Williams, Hird, Wiseman, Evatt (C), Dennis (German, 80'), Rowley, Kellett (O’Grady 70'), Reed, McCourt, Weir (Dimaio, 85').

Subs: Parkin, Mitchell, De Girolamo, Brownell.

Attendance: 4,522 - 289 from Chesterfield.

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Wycombe Wanderers Ticket Update

14 December 2017

Supporters are advised that tickets for Saturday's away match at Wycombe Wanderers will go off sale on the ticket office website at 5pm today (Thursday, December 14).

Tickets for the League Two fixture will also go off sale at the Proact ticket office from 10am tomorrow (Friday, December 15).

Prices for the match at Adams Park are as follows, with all tickets issued being unreserved seating in the Lords Builders Services Stand: -

Category Price
Adults £20
Senior citizens (60 & over) £17
Young adults (19-25) £15
Juniors (12-18) £11
U11s £5

Ambulant disabled tickets are charged at the relevant price category. Wheelchair users are advised to contact the Wycombe ticket office directly on 01494 441118.

Supporters are advised that they can purchase tickets on the day, though all categories will be subject to a £2 price increase. The match kicks off at 3pm.

True Blue Travel is also available for this fixture, with tickets priced at £22 adults and £16 juniors (must be accompanied by an adult). The coach departs the Proact at 10.30am.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block