Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Mar 12 at 23:00 PM

Spireites 0 Terriers 2

Chesterfield were forced into at least one change from the side that drew with Milton Keynes on Saturday, with Liam Ridehalgh compelled to sit the game out. Nathan Smith was his replacement. A change in midfield saw Danny Whitaker replaced by Alex Mendy, while Craig Westcarr came in up front for Jack Lester.

The Spireites lined up like this:


Hurst, Trotman, Thompson, Smith

Talbot, Allott, Moussa, Mendy

Westcarr, Bowery

Subs: Fleming, Ford, Ajose, Whitaker, Lester.

Both sides made a bright start, trying to play fast football with accurate passing to feet; Mark Allott was immediately to the fore as his side attempted testing passes forward from midfield and Bowery took up from where he left off on Saturday.

Clear-cut chances were at a premium for the whole game, though, although the first effort on goal came from the home side, when Talbot burst forward from halfway on 10 and came inside to fire a measured shot a yard wide from around the edge of the area.

Huddesfield won first corner on 15. Talbot and Trotman combined to force Roberts' place kick away but it was returned and came off Mendy for second corner. Ward took this one, which ended up being flicked high over the bar for a goal kick.

Bowery latched on to an Allott pas on 19 and ran at a defender before firing a shot goalwards, forcing Smithies to get down to save. Lee claimed another Huddersfield corner after Thompson's tackle on Novak.

Mendy shot from 30 yards and Smithies spliied the ball; Westcar followed up but Clarke just got in a split-second in front of him to force the ball out for a corner, which Trotman headed over.

Huddersfield took the lead on 23 minutes, thanks to a fine opportunistic strike from Novak. Kay played the ball forward, and Novak, despite having Trotman in his way, managed somehow to hook a leg around the ball and volley it over Lee and into the net, from around 20 yards out.

Rhodes allowed to recover the ball and Lee saved, but carelessness in the home defence led to the division's leading marksman adding to his tally moments later. A pass intended for Allott had too far to travel to reach him, really, and it was intercepted. The danger was stalled, momentarily, but the ball came to Hunt, wide on the right, He powered a cross over that Rhodes pulled down and turned onto before firing past Lee on 27.

In those four minutes, quality finishing saw to it that the most significant difference between the sides was laid bare.

Westcarr headed a Mendy cross a foot over from 8 yards on 38 minutes, and Rhodes provided one for the scrapbook on 40 minutes by shooting - and missing - after Ward had broken at pace. A minute before halftime a measured lob from Roberts struck the bar on its way over, with the goal gaping. A third goal would have been desperately harsh on Chesterfield, however; the Spireites had competed well and shown composure and imagination in flashes, and probably didn't deserve to go in two down, much less three.

Halftime: Spireites 0 Terriers 2. Attendance: 6916 (1724 from Huddersfield.)

Bowery got a foot round a defender to toe poke the ball forward on 50 minutes, but the ball dribbled narrowly wide of the post.

Roberts' low cross on 54 squirmed out of Lee's grasp at the near post and flew backwards and luckily wide, for a corner. Ward's kick was headed away by Talbot. Moussa worked the space to get a shot away from a Mendy pass, but late intervention by a defender forced the midfielder to screw his shot wide, on 60.

Kay was penalised for foul on Hurst just by corner of the Huddersfield penalty area on 61. Westcarr took the free kick, which dipped as it came over; Trotman, rushing in at the far post, could only steer the ball over the bar. Had the cross maintained its height and been met by Trotman's head, it might have been a different story.

Huddersfield brought Alan Lee on for Novak on 69. Ajose replaced the influential Allott on 71 in a switch that saw Drew Talbot move across into central midfield. Drew did the defensive side of his work there very well, but the move resulted in Chesterfield's game going a bit more long, and this was met with some relief by the visiting central defenders, who had been in a more even contest when Bowery had the ball at his feet.

Arismendi replaced Gudjonssen on 77. Morrison got on to a free kick to head wide from close range on 79. Mendy tricked Hunt a moment later and found Ajose, who saw a decent shot well blocked by Clarke. Chesterfield's best chance of the night came from a Westcarr cross that Talbot headed a yard over, after meeting the ball in the centre of the penalty area.

Huddersfield closed the game out by bringing Cadermarteri on for Rhodes with three minutes left.

    Latest Match Reports