Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Mar 12 at 18:24 PM

Spireites 1 Rovers 0

Chesterfield made two changes to the side that was beaten by Charlton last time out. Having come on as a substitute in the Charlton game, Danny Whitaker kept his place in midfield, replacing Craig Westcarr, while Drew Talbot came in at right-back for Simon Ford, allowing Josh Thompson to move back to central defence.

Chesterfield showed first; Lester shot wide from 25 yards on 4 minutes after Bowery started the move out wide with good control and movement. Talbot and Allott combined to play the ball out of defence after a Devaney cross was not gathered on 13. As Rovers enjoyed a brighter spell Welsh shot over from the edge of the area on 17, and the game's first corner wewnt their way on 19, but the ball curled out before coming back in, whereupon a goal kick was given.

Lester got the ball on the edge of the area on 24 and slipped it wide to Whitaker; his cross was aimed at Bowery but Goodison got in front of the Chesterfield man to clear. A minute later Fon Williams was forced to go down to save a Bowery shot from around 16 yards after Davis supplied the pass.

Chesterfield came closest to opening the scoring on 38, when Lester ran onto a loose ball and rounded the keeper. His goalbound effort was brilliantly turned out for a corner by Goodison, and Trotman headed Whitaker's corner wide.

Lee had to get down to block a cross-shot from Welsh for a corner 44

Bowery advanced and shot from 25 yards on the stroke of halftime; the ball looked to be dipping in but Fon Williams saved well to his left.

Halftime: 0-0. Attendance: 5861 (511 from The Wirral.)

Rovers replaced Devaney with Weir before the second half started.

Ajose produced a good turn and shot on 51 that Fon Williams palmed away; from an impossibly tight angle, Bowery sent the loose ball behind. A Weir cross came off Thompson for a Rovers corner on 54, and McGurk's flag kick was cleared by Allott from in front of Robinson. Chesterfield's midfield anchorman went on to make a number of crucial interceptions and clearances in the defensive areas of midfield as the half went on.

Enoch Showunmi replaced Brunt on 58 for Rovers' second substitution. On 63, Davis pressed forward and fed Lester, on the edge of the box; he returned the ball to the advancing Davis but it got caught under his feet a little, and the midfielder's shot popped up and over the bar.

The Rovers substitutions showed a little more attacking intent on their part, and this allowed the game to open up and become more interesting. Chesterfield made a substitution of their own on 69, replacing Ajose with Mendy.

Lee palmed a Robinson shot from 18 yards wide for a corner on 69. The clearance came to Welsh, who shot wide from around the edge of the area. Davis went into the book on 72 for pulling back Buchanan after losing the ball on halfway.

With fifteen minutes left, Chesterfield took the lead. Working forwards on the left, Whitaker played a neat pass in to Lester, just outside the box, and he helped the ball into the path of JORDAN BOWERY, who took a touch before placing a measured shot round the keeper's right hand and into the corner of the net.

Bakayogo came on for McGurk before the kick off. Showunmi curled one over on 77 but Trotman and Thompson both dealt with the big man's presence with great effect as the visitors tried to find an equaliser. Trotman did remarkably well to dive and head out for a corner after Goodison got a touch to turn a cross goalwards on 85.

Westcarr replaced Lester on 89. The game entered stoppage time and, bizarrely, a Rovers man was booked for playing on after the whistle - something usually done by the side defending the lead!

A tremendous Talbot clearance from under the presence of Bagayoko conceded a corner, which was cleared at the near post by Trotman as final whistle blew and three precious points were added to Chesterfield's total.

    Latest Match Reports