Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Feb 12 at 16:28 PM

Spireites 1 Owls 0

Chesterfield manager John Sheridan made two changes to the side that was pegged back to a draw with a late equaliser at Bury in midweek. Jamie Lowry and Alex Mendy made way for Simon Ford and Mark Allott, and the side lined up thus:


Ford, Trotman, Thompson, Robertson

Talbot, Allott, Davis, Ridehalgh

Lester, Ajose.

Subs: Fleming, Westcarr, Whitaker, Morgan, Bowery.

Attempting to put two straight defeats behind them, Wednesday made much the better start. Lee's pass to Ford left the defender with a lot to do and Jermaine Johnson closed him down, winning possession, but Davis was able to clear up. Reda Johnson crossed on 5 but Lowe couldn't quite get over the ball and headed a yard over the bar. A Lines ball inside the full-back gave Reda Johnson a decent shooting opportunity in the box but Lee did very well to palm the ball away, and the defence cleared.

Wednesday won the game's first corner on 14 when O'Grady played the ball off Thompson after it appeared to have gone out. The delivery fell to Buxton, whose scuffed shot fell safely for Lee.

A Davis foul on Jermaine Johnson gave Lines the chance to cross. Buxton went for the header from the cross but Robertson competed well and the bal went over the bar for a corner. With the ball not properly cleared, Reda Johnson shot, but Lester got in the way and an unproductive corner resulted. Lowe fired a free kick at the wall after Lester brought Reda Johnson down on 18.

Ryan Lowe was perhaps lucky only to be booked after going in studs first on Tommy Lee on 20.

Chesterfield made a positional change by switching Ford and Thompson at right-back and central defence, and the swap worked well for both players, and the team, with things looking a touch calmer afterwards. Wednesday were forced to replace Jermaine Johnson with Bostock after 24 minutes.

Lowe appeared to be held by Trotman in the area on 26 but a corner was given. The referee was notably lenient with holding by both sides' defenders throughout, with the principal beneficiary being the ungainly Jones in ythe Wednesday rearguard.

Lowe spurned a good chance when a Lines free kick brushed the head of Talbot on its way to the ex­-Bury frontman, a yard out at the back post, but he was falling as he shot and ended up brushing the ball out for a goal kick.

The Spireites gave their nervous fans something other than resolute defending to applaud when Ridehalgh pounced on a loose ball outside the box to fire in a venomous shot that forced the best out of Bywater in the Wednesday net.

A ball into the Spireites box on 32 prompted Lee to come out to challenge Lowe; there were vehement shouts for a penalty as Lowe went down, but the referee saw fit only to award the corner.

At the other end, Lester stood up tremendously well to unfair pressure from Jones and found Ajose, whose shot curled wide from the edge of the area.

With halftime looming, Chesterfield lost Robertson after he stretched to rob a Sheffielder on the left. In a positive statement of intent from the manager, Dean Morgan came on, with Ridehalgh dropping back into the defence.

In the last action of the half, the ball was played into Lowe in the box but Ford was massive, and held Lowe off as his tame shot went wide.

Ht 0-0 att: 9,279 (2802 from Sheffield)

After a tame first few minutes and awkward ball into the Chesterfield box was cleared for a corner in safety-first style by Ford. Ford was on hasnd when the kick came over to head out from under his own crossbar, but the flag kick may have curled out and back in on the way over, for a goal kick was awarded.

Chesterfield grew into the game and Davis shot over from around thirty yards. In order to freshen things up Wednesday replaced O'Grady with Madine on 53. Immediately, the ex­-Spireite loanee saw a shot blocked by Thompson; the pressure was relieved by a fine Lee goal kick that Talbot chased to work for a corner off Johnson.

Bywater was tested when Ridehalgh's free kick was driven goalwards by Talbot, but the visitors' defence was able to hack clear after the keeper's intervention. Chesterfield continued to press and two corners came their way in quick succession before Morrison replaced Lines on 65 and Wednesday went with three up front, but the disruption to other areas of their side caused by this worked against them.

Dean Morgan was proving to be the most effective of the substitutes, though, chasing down clearances to relieve the defence and moving with intelligence when in possession. Batth blocked a Morgan shot before Jones was penalised for the first time for one of many hugging fouls on Lester, in the 72nd minute.

Morgan's runs were causing problems to the Wednesday rearguard and Batth's fair tackle brought him down to momentarily raise hopes of a Chesterfield penalty. Minutes later, though, Ajose bore down the left to take a pass from Morgan and took the ball into the box; with no need to commit, Buxton lunged in and brought the Chesterfield player down. This time, there was no doubt, and DEAN MORGAN showed massive coolness and confidence to stride up and send Bywater the wrong way.

Wednesday threw everything forward in a desperate attempt to draw level, and Chesterfield's defending was equally desperate-looking, at times, but the thin blue line held. Allott was increasingly influential in midfield, being available for pressurised team-mates and keeping possession with a neat short-passing game. Johnson won a corner after pushing Talbot over and the ball was cleared off the line; it was returned immediately and an arm came up to punch the ball away. It was Lee's arm, but several Wednesday men appealed for handball, as if unable to believe that the inspirational keeper had got to it.

Seconds later the ball was back in the Spireites box and Morrison was about to pull the trigger from around ten yards when Trotman came from nowhere to win the ball and leave his opponent wondering why he was lying in a heap.

Such was the desperation of the Wednesday management to get their message across that written instructions (well, they might have been pictures) were passed onto the pitch to Prutton, who then proceeded to go round his team-mates with a sheet of paper, telling them what to do.

Lester was replaced by Westcarr, to a standing ovation, on 84. Jack had shown tremendous composure in the face of an afternoon of Greco-Roman wrestling and deserved the tribute for his hard work. Bostock was booked foul on Westcarr on 86 that the Spireites were happy to win. Still there was time for one last mad scramble in the Chesterfield box before Madine chipped a shot tamely wide of Lee's goal. In a fitting tribute to his afternoon, the last action of the game was a fine tackle on a Wednesday man by Trotman, in his area, to clear the ball upfield.

    Latest Match Reports