Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 14 Feb 12 at 22:38 PM

Shakers 1 Spireites 1

Chesterfield made three changes to the side beaten at Carlisle last time out. Mark Allott (hamstring) and James Hurst (ankle) missed out with injuries, while Scott Boden made way for Nicky Ajose to make his full Spireites debut against the side with which he came to our attention last season. Hurst's place was taken by Jamie Lowry and Allott's by Alex Mendy.

Before the game was in progress for long, the side adopted an unfamiliar-looking formation:


Thompson, Trotman, Robertson, Ridehalgh

Talbot, Davis, Lowry


Ajose, Lester

Subs: Fleming, Westcarr, Whitaker, Boden, Bowery.

Trotman scooped Sweeney's cross out for a corner on 7; it was taken short, and the cross was header out by Trotman. Bury kept the pressure on and Talbot was forced to concede another corner. Thompson cut the ball out and Davis broke to clear the danger. Lester and Mendy exchanged passes in Bury territory but the Frenchman couldn't quite bring the return under control.

Chesterfield won a free kick thirty yards out on 12, but Trotman fouled in an effort to get to Lowry's delivery. Chesterfield won their first corner after 14 after Skarz and Schumacher confused eachother. It was taken short, and quickly, and Ajose took the ball into the box but was forced out; the ball came to Lowry and his cross eventually looked for Trotman but was a little too high.

Bishop's knock to Sweeney on 20 gave the Bury man a yard on the defence but his shot from twenty yards went narrowly wide. Schumacher charged down a fierce Lowry shot on 21 and Lester was brought down by Sodje seconds later but Ridehalgh's kick found the wall.

Mendy blocked a clearance on 25 and took the ball on before seeing a shot blocked; it was worked to Ajose, whose shot was also blocked, for a corner. Lowry's delivery was again too high to connect with a Chesterfield head.

Chesterfield were going forward well and enjoying a measure of superiority at this stage but couldn't afford to switch off at the back, and Robertson stole in on 27 to relieve Bishop of the ball when the Bury man was set to shoot.

Talbot found Lester who feigned past one man and dropped his shoulder before seeing a shot blocked on 28. A free kick to Bury on 33 bobbled around in the box before squeezing through a forest of legs to Tommy Lee.

Chesterfield took the lead on 41 when Mendy got behind the defence to cross; Lester flicked on and NICKY AJOSE was on hand to convert from close range, against his old club and in his home town. He became the fourth Chesterfield player to score on his full League debut this season; a feat not seen since 1928-9.

Doble had a chance to equalise moments after the kick-off but he couldn't summon a shot on target after good work from Amoo.

Belford erred on the stroke of halftime and Ajose capitalised to set up Jack Lester from 25 yards. He picked the bottom corner but Hughes got back in fine style to clear off the line. From the corner Belford produced a good save to deny Mendy; Lowry returned a cross and Hughes again cleared.

Halftime: Shakers 0 Spireites 1 Attendance: 2,266 (331 from Chesterfield)

Bury replaced Ryan Doble, who had taken a knock in the first half, with David Worrall during the interval.

Chesterfield continued to attack in a controlled fashion and Lester capitalised on a Picken error on 58 but couldn't quite play Ajose in. Bury broke, and Thompson put a ball from Worrall out for corner to atone for an error that let the Bury man in. 59 Schumacher's corner was poor, but they won another a minute later after pressuring down the side defended by Thompson. Another short flag-kick was crossed but defended well by Lowry.

As Bury kept the temo high and the pressure on Talbot came in with a fine tackle on 53 to deny the busy Worrall at the expense of a corner, which was driven long and headed wastefully wide by Amoo. Lee did well to take command on 55 and claim an Amoo cross.

Sodje, who had been carrying a knock, was guilty of an poor foul on Ajose on the hour, shoving his forearm into the pacy forward's face, but the referee saw nothing wrong. Lowry got the last touch to Sweeney's cross to concede a corner on 63. Lester headed the kick away.

Bury made a second substitution on 65 minutes, when John-Lewis replaced Amoo. Lee claimed a teasing John-Lewis cross on 67, with a Bury man waiting to pounce at the far post. John-Lewis was on the end of a Worrall cross a minute later but fired wastefully wide from around the penalty spot. Robertson made five yards to deny Bishop in fine style as the Bury man waited for the ball to drop.

Chesterfield made a substitution on 73, bringing Boden on for Ajose, who had continued to get some rough treatment from the Bury defence without gaining much sympathy from the ref.Lee berated his defence on 82 after they allowed Bishop a free header from a free kick, but the Bury man contrived to waste the good chance he had by heading carelessly wide. Lee pulled off a fine save moments later when John-Lewis found the target, but Tommy's outstretched leg kept the clean sheet intact, for now. A John-Lewis shot was blocked by the face of Ridehalgh as the visitors' defending took on a desperate air. Moments later Robertson cleared off the line.

A Bury shot clipped the bar and went out, and the referee gave a corner, thinking that Lee had tipped it over. The corner was not cleared and Schumacher headed home from close range to level the scores on 88.

Westcarr replaced Lester before the resumption. With their tails up, Bishop headed over on 89. Thompson blocked a shot in stoppage time as Bury made their final substitution, bringing Carrington on for Bishop. Thompson headed out for a corner but the flag kick was headed over. The point lifted Chesterfield off the bottom but the side's vulnerability late on cost more points.

    Latest Match Reports