Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Dec 11 at 17:45 PM

Chairboys 3 Spireites 2

Chasing their first league win on December 10th at the twelfth attempt, Chesterfield made one change to the side that took a step closer to Wembley at Preston last Tuesday, bringing Leon Clarke back into the starting line-up at the expense of Jordan Bowery.

Chesterfield looked after the ball well from the kick-off and Whitaker saw a shot blocked on the one-minute mark. Wycombe came back and McNamee won a corner off Talbot, which Lee caught convincingly. Tommy launched it quickly and, from the break, Westcarr picked it up from Mendy and crossed; DEAN MORGAN kept up the fine recent work he showed up front in the reserves by firing the ball home to give Chesterfield the lead in the fourth minute.

Morgan's reward was to be chopped down in midfield by Winfield almost from the kick-off, and the Wycombe man picked up an early yellow card. When play resumed after treatment, Mendy weaved down the left and cut the ball back for Clarke, whose shot was blocked, and Whitaker's attempt at the rebound screwed well wide. Whitaker saw another shot blocked on 10.

Midfielder Scott Donnelly needed extended treatment before being substituted after just fourteen minutes, with Matt Bloomfield coming on. Morgan, too, was still struggling with his injury. Bloomfield had a chance immediately from Beavon's cut-back, but the new man's shot clipped a Chesterfield player and went out for a corner. Lee punched the ball away and the return volley from Grant went reassuringly high for the 350 or so Chesterfield fans present.

Talbot was brought down as he threatened to get through the Wycombe midfield on 16. Griffith's shot from the cleared kick was blocked. At the other end, Lee was floored by Winfield's agricultural challenge on 18. Jamie Hewitt was probably the busiest club employee so far, and had to come on to attend to Talbot after 20 minutes.

Wycombe's enforced substitution improved them, and they won a corner on 24 when Grant's shot was deflected wide. The kick sailed over everyone and out of play on the other side. Bloomfield tried to get in to a through ball on the half hour but Talbot read it well and intercepted. Wycombe were coming more strongly at their visitors now, though, and Basey won a corner off Talbot on 31. Lee punched the kick away, but not clearly, or far; Whitaker blocked a shot on the line and another one hit the bar; the ball came to McNamee, who buried the equaliser into the Chesterfield net.

Westcarr was the next to receive treatment after a heavy challenge from Lewis, on 34. Chesterfield won a corner on 38; Whitaker's well-aimed kick found Downes but Westcarr couldn't quite fashion a shot before Wycombe hacked it away. Basey's cross on 40 was palmed away by Lee, for safety's sake. Bevan got away onside with Ford closing him down and curled a shot wide.

Chesterfield probably needed halftime to come to re-group, but the match officials correctly added five minutes' time to the first period. Talbot conceded a corner to prevent McNamee getting behind the defence. Bloomfield's in-swinging corner was headed over, off Clarke, for another corner. Ford headed this one away and got the ball over the halfway line to wind the clock down.

Half time: Wycombe Wanderers 1, Chesterfield 1. Attendance: 4,320.

Lee gathered grant's cross as both sides probed cautiously at the start of the second half. Bevan got away from Ford and found McNamee, but the midfielder shot over carelessly. Downes cleared up neatly after the visitors failed to get Lee's goal kick away properly, and Lee got down to his left to save from Grant on 50. From the corner, Basey got up at the near post but the ball ended up on the roof of the net.

Wycombe were looking dangerous on the counter, but Beavon wasted a chance on 53 by firing the ball out of the stadium.

Dean MorganA long kick forward from the Chesterfield half beat everyone; DEAN MORGAN rushed through onside and pulled out a first-time volley of the highest quality from close to the edge of the area to restore Chesterfield's lead on 54.

Beavon went down too easily for the referee's liking in the box, under a challenge by Whitaker. Morgan was fired up; he got past McCoy 58 and was then harshly penalised when using his strength to keep the ball.

Wycombe won a corner on 62 and the cross was headed up in the air at the near post by Talbot. Allott helped it on, and Morgan brought it away. The Chairboys had their share of possession but lacked the focus of the second half of the first period. With Chesterfield perhaps as nervous about defending a lead as Wycombe were about cancelling it out, the game entered a scrappier phase.

Wanderers just managed to clear a Whitaker corner on 68 but Allott kept possession on the edge of the area; Morgan swung a cross over but a shot spun out for a goal kick. Ford and Downes were battling hard to keep the home side out but the Spireites weren't falling back on a defensive wall, and Talbot got forward to shoot narrowly over on 73.

Mendy broke through down the left and cut in on 77 before rolling a shot narrowly wide. Wycombe equalised with eleven minutes left when Trotta placed a neat shot beyond Lee and into the corner of the net.

Chesterfield won a corner on 81, but Downes was penalised for a foul as the ball came over. Morgan was booked for dissent on 82. Beavon cut the ball back to Trotta, who hauled the ball over the bar from around eight yards, with the goal at his mercy.

Chesterfield had few thoughts about preserving the point and drove forward. Lester replaced Clarke and Bowery came on for Morgan with six minutes remaining. Obadeyi came on for Westcarr two minutes later. Wycombe burst away after winning the ball in midfield and won a corner, but it came to nothing. Lester won a free kick from Johnson's foul, sime 35 yards out, on 88. Ford flicked it on but Bull got down well to save; from the break, Grant put the ball wide from close range.

McCoy was judged to handle as Obadeyi's fresh legs burst past him on 89. Whitaker's free kick drifted over Downes' head and out for a goal kick. Lester went down under Winfield's challenge on the edge of the box, in stoppage time. The kick was rolled to Whitaker, whose shot flashed inches wide. In the dying seconds Beavon turned the ball in from a lofted free kick to win the game for Wycombe.

    Latest Match Reports