Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Sep 11 at 18:48 PM

Cherries 0 Spireites 3

After enjoying a fine 2010-11, Bournemouth found themselves at the wrong end of League One, with good players moving on and a row blowing up recently between the chairman and fans. Chesterfield thus felt confident of exploiting The Cherries' discomfort to come home with all three points. Fans' favourite Jack Lester faces a prolonged spell absent due to his badly-broken arm, so Chesterfield manager brought new signing Leon Clarke straight into the side. That was the only change from the starting line-up that played well against Orient last Saturday, without applying the killer touch that would have won all three points.

Bournemouth showed first after the visitors neglected to close them down, but Arter's shot flew harmlessly over the bar. Byrne went in for a header at the far post on 3 but Smith held him off well and the ball went out for a throw. At the other end a Whitaker cross just eluded the head of Clarke.

Simon Ford needed Jamie Hewitt's attention on 6, when he went down dazed, with what appeared to be a head injury. Dean Holden was warmed up and prepared as Jonathan Grounds beat three men to come forward with the ball. Holden replaced Ford in the tenth minute.

Holden went into the book after 17 minutes for a foul. Bournemouth won the game's first corner on 19, which was swung in and deflected off a Chesterfield man for a second corner, on the other side. Lee gathered this with ease.

A third corner was won after Smith denied Byrne. Malone's kick was played to the edge of the area; Cooper saw a shot blocked and Pugh followed up, but put the ball over.

A grounds interception presented Bournemouth with another corner, on 24. Pugh's kick swung out, this time, and Thomas came in for the returned cross but Lee gathered well. Thomas was left needing attention after appearing to catch a knock in the face.

Bournemouth were showing the greater possession and threat but that was due in part to the visitors' midfield being unable to keep or use the ball to maximum effect. The Cherries fifth corner came their way on 27. Pugh took it and the ball fell to Barratt, whose shot from 12 was blocked. Pugh, then Arter, kept the pressure on but Thomas would have been called offside had he been able to connect with a cross.

Byrne shot a few yards over from around 25 yards on 30.

Chesterfield took the lead on 32. Smith and Whitaker exchanged passes on the left and Whitaker found Clarke; he held off a defender and controlled the ball well before crossing. The ball just eluded Westcarr but found the tall ALEX MENDY at the far post, and he buried a header into the home team's net.

Bournemouth came back and Grounds was forced into a desperate clearance on 34 after Lee failed to gather cleanly. The Middlesbrough loanee needed attention before play continued. Lee had to get smartly down on 37 to gather a Byrne shot.

Whitaker turned and tried to work a shooting opportunity on 38 but he was robbed. Bournemouth worked the ball forward as far as Chesterfield's Johnson, who made a telling tackle - one of many he made to break up Bournemouth attacks. Doble's shot cum cross nearly found Pugh but the ball drifted out for a goal kick. Whitaker did well to keep possession and advance on goal but the ball just ran away from him at the crucial moment.

Allott got a good challenge in and won his side's first corner, off McDonald, on the stroke of halftime. Whitaker's kick, and the return, twice came close to finding Grounds and the ball eventually found its way to Flahavan in the Bournemouth goal. The halftime whistle came just as Chesterfield were about to press forward after a fine Mendy tackle.

Half time: Cherries 0 Spireites 1. Attendance: 4989 (301 from Chesterfield.)

Bournemouth started aggressively, as expected, and Lee and Allott combined to save and clear. Lee gathered a Thomas shot from distance on 48. Chesterfield refused to let the Cherries' intent lead to constant pressure, though, and Mendy used pace to get on to the end of a pass to cross, and a panicked Bournemouth defence cleared for a corner on 49.

Grounds was booked for pulling Thomas's shirt on 52. Pugh took the resulting free kick. Byrne went on a run but another conclusive Allott tackle stifled his progress. Westcarr found Whitaker on 54; he shaped to shoot but opted to pass to Mendy, on his right. Mendy shifted the ball onto his other foot and shot, but the Cherries defence was able to block and clear.

Bournemouth brought Molesley on for McDonald after 58 minutes.

Before the change could bring any benefit for the home side a fantastic goal extended Chesterfield's lead. Whitaker played a beautiful ball into the path of CRAIG WESTCARR, who powered an unstoppable shot into the Bournemouth net on 59 minutes.

Bournemouth won a corner on 65. Doble was replaced by Stockley and the popular former Spireite Steve Fletcher came on for Byrne before the kick was taken. Lee got a finger to a Pugh shot on 67 to deflect the ball onto the bar and out for another corner as Bournemouth threw resources forward. Lee caught the flag kick with ease.

Just as with the first home substitution, their second batch was rendered irrelevant by another Chesterfield goal. Whitaker worked well to play the ball forward on 70; Westcarr helped it on and LEON CLARKEnipped in among hesitant defenders to get the faintest of touches and divert the ball into the Bournemouth net. Clarke received a yellow card after the goal, when he appeared to ask his bench for water; one can only assume that Mr Deadman saw this as time-wasting.

A Whitaker corner found Mendy and his header just squeezed wide of the post by the narrowest of margins.

Mark Randall replaced Lee Johnson on 75. Lee pushed Pugh's shot over on 77 to concede another corner. Pugh's kick looked for Fletcher but Mendy proved taller, and Lee was able to gather the return with sureness. The fussy Deadman booked Randall for delaying a free kick on the edge of the Bournemouth area with eleven minutes left.

Pugh got onto a Fletcher flick and shot but Talbot got a block in to concede a corner on 82. Lee couldn't gather but the referee thought him fouled. Jordan Bowery replaced Leon Clarke on 83. Westcarr nearly made it four on 87, getting onto Mendy's pass and seeing the keeper block the shot for a corner. Whitaker took, but it drifted out. Jonathan Grounds got the nod from Spireites Player commentators James Marples and Howard Borrell for the Chesterfield Man of the Match.

Talbot conceded another corner in stoppage time. Pugh took and Malone crossed, but Grounds cut it out and Westcarr cleared. Pugh handled the ball in the Chesterfield box as he sought to get on to a Fletcher flick.

The final whistle brought an end to a tremendous victory that was won with an assured second-half performance after first-half resolve kept the home side out. With the visitors valuing possession, three maiden goals from Mendy, Westcarr and Clarke helped Chesterfield to get their noses out of the bottom four and set things up nicely for the coming two home games.


Steve Fletcher postscript:Steve Fletcher would like to thank the Chesterfield fans for their welcome at Dean Court and wishes Spireite fans all the best as he has fond memories of his time at Saltergate. He was not able to come over due to circumstances beyond his control at the end of the game

    Latest Match Reports