Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Sep 11 at 18:10 PM

Spireites 0 O's 0

Chesterfield were, amazingly, chasing their first home win on this day since beating New Brighton 1-0 in 1923. Recent games against the O's had seen the visitors come out on top, with the Spireites' last home win being the 4-1 success in the Brown-stained 2000-1 season.

Alex Mendy came into the starting line-up to become the third French national to play first-team football for Chesterfield. Simon Ford was paired with Jonathan Grounds in central defence, with Drew Talbot and Nathan Smith occupying the full-back berths. Lee Johnson and Mark Allott started in central midfield, with Mendy and Danny Whitaker on the flanks, while Jack Lester and Craig Westcarr were paired for the first time up front.

Mendy began brightly, winning a corner off Daniels on 5. The duel between the Frenchman and the ex­-Spireite would remain compelling throughout the game Orient conceded another corner minutes later, but Chorley know nothing about conceding it; the ball rebounded off him and flew a yard wide of the post as he attempted to keep Lester out.

Committed tackling from Johnson & Whitaker epitomised the spirit shown by Chesterfield in a bright opening period. Orient came in to it a little more after the first fifteen, winning their first corner off a Ford slice. Smith hacked this clear after Lee had been forced to fumble in a crowd. Mooney shot into the side netting when fairly well placed.

Lester and Westcarr were showing signs of a developing understanding, linking well on 18. When Lester took the ball into the box Westcarr made a run that drew an Orient man with him, improving Jack's odds, but he still had two men to beat and the ball was eventually cleared.

Tommy Lee was forced into a diving save from Laird after Cureton's shot was blocked on 25. Lester shot over the bar from a difficult angle after more good Westcarr work.

Play was even, now, and a Cox shot deflected off Johnson for another O's corner, on 26. The home side had found corners to be an Achilles heel of late, but the addition of Grounds added height and composure to the Chesterfield rearguard. Still, there was the odd flash of panic, and Talbot stabbed over his own bar with Cureton lurking on 27. This time, Dawson got onto the corner unchallenged, but flashed his header a foot over.

Chesterfield took the upper hand again. Westcarr's muscular presence forced a corner off Forbes on 29. Staying up, Ford swivelled and shot well over from 16 yards after Orient failed to clear the danger. A Westcarr free kick from around 27 yards fizzed a foot wide of Butcher's left-hand post. Lester continued to trouble the much larger Chorley and his prerssure forced the defender to head a Smith cross out for a corner.

A cracking goalmouth scramble finished the first half when the corner came over. Grounds headed on to Westcarr and he stabbed the ball goalwards; there were as many as four Orient men on the line, though, hacking at the ball. It was cleared as far as Mendy, who stabbed goalward again, but that was blocked to the left to Westcarr, whose drive went narrowly wide.

Halftime - 0-0 Attendance 6197 (418 fromEast London.)

Chesterfield did not immediately keep their first-half momentum going into the second period. A Ford header back deceived Lee and went for an Orient corner on 50. Breaking from this, fine linking between Whitaker and Mendy saw the former unleash a powerful cross that just eluded the closing Lester and Westcarr.

Lester passed a throw on to Whitaker and he shot from the corner of the box but Butcher down to hold comfortably, on 57

Lester battled well to recover the ball by the East Stand touchline on the hour; he found Whitaker but the midfielder's shot flew wide.

Orient made their first substitution when Tehoue replaced Cureton on 62

Chorley was booked after hauling Lester to the ground on 67; Jack had turned him and would have been clear on the edge of the box but for the foul; Chorley was perhaps lucky not to suffer a worse fate. Whitaker and Johnson exchanged passes at the free kick before the former fired over, but the kick was too close to goal to be able to get the ball up, over the wall and down again, in truth.

Cox might have done better with Daniels' cross after Lee came and went back again, but the midfielder headed wide. Lester was booked for a foul on Dawson on 71.

Boden replaced Westcarr on 71. As Chesterfield continued to press, Nathan Smith began a run from his own half on 74 that finished with a shot from just inside the Orient box that went narrowly wide. Morgan replaced Johnson on 74 and made a run from halfway that ended in a corner when his cross struck an Orient boot and flew behind.

A Cross was aimed at Lester in the box on 78. Butcher came out and flattened Lester in giving the appearance of going for the ball but, amazingly, the referee saw it as a Lester foul. After several minutes' treatment in the area, Lester was stretchered off with a broken left arm, and replaced by Jordan Bowery. For Orient, Porter replaced Mooney on 82.

Smith yellow card for a clumsy foul on Talbot on halfway in the 84th minute. Morgan was having some influence and the ball was worked from him to Boden via Bowery; Boden's high shot was held by Butcher at the second attempt. Mogan beat three men in a run that ended with a somewhat scuffed shot

McSweeney replaced Laird on 88 as Orient attempted to wind down the clock but six minutes were added by the fourth official. Boden got in front of Forbes to head a Mendy cross disappointingly wide in the fifth minute of that, and the game ended in the B2Net's first goalless draw.


    Latest Match Reports