Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Feb 11 at 22:19 PM

Shakers 1 Spireites 1

Chesterfield had to share the points with play-off challengers Bury at Gigg Lane after Ryan Lowe's second half strike just 95 seconds into the restart ruled by Craig Davies' early first half goal. But the Spireites were made to work for their point and made the task at hand even harder as Deane Smalley was shown red for picking up a second yellow.

John Sheridan had to do without the services of loyal trio Jack Lester, Drew Talbot and Dwayne Mattis heading into the evening's match as midfield General Mark Allott took up the role of captain in Mattis' absence.

Lester picked up a virus prior to the match, as Talbot missed out with a minor ankle injury picked up during the recent Burton clash, with Mattis being ruled out of contention with a calf injury.

Crystal Palace loanee Kieran Djilali, who only arrived at the B2net on Monday, headed straight into Sheridan's starting XI and was named alongside Ian Morris, Danny Whitaker and Deane Smalley in an attacking minded Spireite midfield.

Craig Davies was named as a lone striker as Allott took up position just in front of the Chesterfield defence. After making his debut in the defeat against the Brewers last week, new recruit Dean Holden kept his place amongst the back-four, but moved to a more central role alongside Simon Ford.

Sheridan opted for change down both defensive flanks as Javan Vidal and Gregor Robertson returned back to the fold.

Bury didn't feel the need for change however and remained with the same side that lost against relegation battlers Stockport County at the weekend, a side that featured former Spireite Phil Picken.

After a stale opening 15 minutes, it was the home side that created the first real spark of the match when Ryan Lowe's deceiving turn teed up the winger for a rocketing strike on goal, but the shot fired somewhat off-target.

Just moments later and that spark was turned into a full blown flame as Craig Davies pounced on a rare Efe Sodje mistake, gifting the Spireites an early lead via a cheeky nut-meg through Cameron Belford's legs in the Shakers' goal.

Lee had to be alert on 27 minutes when Andy Haworth's left-footed drill forced the Spireite number one, who was celebrating his 100th Chesterfield appearance, into action, but Lee held well to deny any goal scoring opportunity.

Djilali's powerfully whipped cross from the right hand side found Holden at the back post, but with a true defender's touch failed to conjure up any end product.

Davies tried his luck from 30 yards out and was almost rewarded with some good fortune as the ball slipped through Belford's palms and went just inches of going into the Bury goal as both sets of supporters gasped.

Haworth's delivery into the Chesterfield box found Lowe, who hit the deck when challenging for the ball with Holden, but the referee waved played on much to the frustration of the Bury bench.

Andy Bishop's looping effort just before half time went over Lee's crossbar as the Spireites headed into the break with the vital one goal advantage.

Half-Time: Bury 0 Chesterfield 1

As the rain continued to make its presence felt on the scarce Gigg Lane turf, the second half looked set to be a more open affair.

That proved to be just the case 95 seconds into the restart as Lowe caught Chesterfield napping and cut inside the back four to level the match up with a clinical left footed finish.

Djilali's right footed effort met the arms of Belford in the Bury goal with ease shortly after as the Spireites were eager to regain their one goal advantage.

Sodje came close off a Steven Schumacher floated in corner as the match began to take shape of a frantic cup tie.

John Sheridan's side had Gregor Robertson to thank for still being level as the full back pulled off an inch perfect tackle to deny Lowe pulling the trigger from close range, in what surely would have been a testing shot for Lee to deal with.

Substitute Lenell John-Lewis played in Michael Jones moments later but the attacker fired wide from 12 yards as Chesterfield were let off the hook yet again.

Davies struck a powerful effort on 62 minutes after a determined run down the left, but the Chesterfield goal scorer failed to hit the target for the second time as the ball flew wide of Belford's far post.

Sheridan made a double substitution just two minutes later as Jordan Bowery and Ian Breckin replaced Danny Whitaker and Javan Vidal, but that change didn't seem to affect the match too much as the home side continued their threatening period of the game.

Jones had a number of chances on the Chesterfield goal during that tiime, but Lee was more than equal every time and came out top trumps.

On 84 minutes forward Deane Smalley was given his marching orders by referee David Foster after the Oldham loanee pulled down Jones to pick up his second yellow of the game.

With just minutes remaining on the clock Lee pulled off a good reaction save to deny John-Lewis stealing all three points for the Shakers with a close range header.

Lowe had an excellent opportunity in added time but Lee capitalised on the winger's mishap to clear the danger.

Full-Time: Bury 1 Chesterfield 1

Att: 2517 (318 Chesterfield fans)

By Adam Hulme - Follow Adam on Twitter @adamhulmecfc

    Latest Match Reports