Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Nov 10 at 16:54 PM

Brewers 3 Spireites 1

Brewers 3 Spiretes 1 (Incorrect heading above under the control of Premium TV)

Manager John Sheridan was forced into three changes for Chesterfield's visit to Burton Albion in the second round of the FA Cup. Jack Hunt was rendered unavailable by his parent club, so Dan Gray stepped into the right-back spot. Dwayne Mattis came back in to central defence, but Gregor Robertson kept his place, shifting to left-back in place of the injured Lomax. Deane Smalley came in for his first start since joining on loan, in place of Ian Morris, with the manager having the option of using him in a 4-4-2 in left midfield, or up front in a 4-3-3. Jamie Lowry made a welcome return to the bench after a long battle against injury.

Talbot started on the left and Smalley on the right. With only 35 seconds on the clock Deane Smalley went into the book for a foul. Just to show that there would be no favouritism, the ref booked Adam Bolder for a foul with three minutes gone.

Stanton handled deliberately 25 yards outside the Burton box but escaped a yellow card - perhaps the ref had made his point with the first two. Whitaker rolled the free kick to Davies, whose shot flew a yard or so wide of the keeper's right-hand post. Chesterfield's large and ebullient support was noticeably impressed.


Robertson cleared after ford's slip let Collins in, and Burton kept the pressure on to win the game's first corner, on 8. The Spireites responded with a corner of their own a minute later; Whitaker's delivery was headed away by Penn.

Aaron Webster took the ball with his back to goal, but he was allowed to turn and shoot to beat Lee and give Burton Albion the lead, on 12. Collins should have extended the lead seconds later, after Webster set him up, but he was wasteful. Malone came close with his left foot on 15 as Webster again was heavily involved in the set-up play.

Lester worked the ball well to Talbot on 17 but his cross was blocked by Stanton for a corner. Davies and Stanton became involved off the ball as the pair waited for the kick. Whitaker's kick was headed away by Webster for another corner. Lester turned as the corner dropped into the six yard box and got a shot away, and Legzdins made a tidy save.

Maghoma shot wide after taking the ball off Gray on 20. This prompted the Chesterfield management to send Ian Breckin to warm up. Penn carved the Chesterfield defence open on 21 to find Maghoma, who buried the ball past Lee to double Burton's lead. Robertson pulled out a great tackle on 27 to deny Penn and the ball was worked up field to Davies, who was carted down by Stanton. Stanton received a yellow card for his troubles.


Smalley and Talbot switched wings on 28. Lee got down well to save a Webster shot on 31. Chesterfield won a corner off Davies on 32. Moore cut out an intended pass to Lester to concede Chesterfield's fifth corner of the half; Talbot got just too far under a header after timing a run, and the ball squeezed narrowly over the bar. Corbett fouled Smalley just outside the box, on 45; Whitaker's free kick was whipped in to the near post but Collins headed away. Chesterfield finished strongly with another corner, which was charged away as the halftime whistle blew.

Halftime: Brewers 2 Spireites 0. Attendance: 3881 (approx 1600 from Chesterfield.)

Craig Davies pulled up with what looked like a hamstring injury only three minutes into the second half, and was replaced by Jordan Bowery. A formation change occurred for Chesterfield on 53 when Gray and Smalley were replaced by Breckin and Tendayi Darikwa, making his first-team debut. The Spireites went 3-5-2 to try and salvage something from the tie. Chesterfield won a free kick after Darren Moore fouled Bowery and tried to make it look like he'd been fouled by the Chesterfield youngster. The formation change forced Burton on to the back foot slightly, and enabled Chesterfield to cope better with theirs; still, the Brewers were able to threaten and it needed a good save from Lee to keep Webster out on 58.

Talbot found Bowery and his header was hastily cleared for a corner on 59. Bowery's head met Whitaker's kick and Talbot tackled well to prevent a quick break. Albion began to creak, just, but their well-marshalled defence and midfield proved hugely difficult to penetrate.

Chesterfield won their eighth corner on 70. Whitaker's kick was eventually cleared by Moore. Webster broke but Darikwa kept his head and came up with some good hold-up play to allow his team-mates to get back in support. Burton came back with a corner of their own after Talbot's fine tackle. Bolder too it and Talbot cleared.


Breckin was booked for a foul on Maghoma on 75 that might have been committed by Ford. Darikwa and Talbot combined on the right and Drew crossed, forcing Stanton into an ugly clearance for a corner. Burton had every man back, though, and cleared the danger.

Burton brought Phillips on for Maghoma with five minutes left. Lester's persistence and skill won a late corner and Darikwa shot; it was saved and Bowery forced the ball over the line in confusing circumstances, the linesman's flag going up, with seconds of normal time left. Four minutes of added time was announced. The Spireites continued to press with desperation but were unable to force an equaliser, and Collins scored on the break to seal the win.

    Latest Match Reports