Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 25 Sep 10 at 17:03 PM

Millers 1 Spireites 0

John Sheridan started the mouthwatering clash against Rotherham United at the Don Valley Stadium with a completely unchanged side - subs and all - after the sparkling 3-0 win over Cheltenham last weekend. Rotherham brought Pope - now free of all ceremonial duties - back into their side for Warne. Rotherham United fielded their summertime free transfer from Chesterfield - The Spirettes - now known as The Millerettes!

Talbot's deep cross towards Morgan was headed out for the game's first corner on 5. Chesterfield started more brightly but had to battle into a powerful wind. Cresswell put a Hunt long ball out for ther visitors' second corner on 10; Talbot got a header at the near post and Warrington had to be alert to get down to pull the ball in. Cresswell again conceded a corner, the Spireites third, on 14, but the kick was cleared. Rotherham broke through Law but Griffiths marshalled him wide; he crossed for Le Fondre, who volleyed over from around 12 yards. Harrison had a good chance to score on 15 when geting forward to head from around eight yards, but his effort went wide.

Rotherham won their first corner on 21 when Whitaker dispossessed Le Fondre. Lee dived bravely at Le Fondre's feet after Harrison was allowed to run into the Spireite penalty box on 24. Cresswell headed Geohagon's long throw over on 25 as the home side began to look ther more dangerous. Ford got a foot to an Ellison shot on 30 and the corner was quickly taken, but cleared.

The ball was played forward on 34 to Lester and he broke through to bear down on Warrington, who judged Jack's effort well and saved.

Allott conceded a corner on 37 rather than see the ball go through to Le Fondre. Ellison's kick was palmed out for a corner from the other side by Tommy Lee, who saved well from Pope's shot on 40. Le Fondre's cross on 43 was blocked by Allott for a corner.Ellison's kick went to the back post where Cresswell headed goalwards but Lee parried the ball out, and the visitors cleared. Chesterfield won a corner when Cresswell put the ball out and the clearance was worked back by the Spireites to Davies on the left, whose shot hit the side netting.

Halftime: 0-0. Attendance: 5,365 (1332 Chesterfield fans)

Derek Niven came on for Mark Allott at the start of the second half. Hunt tackled Ellison to concede a corner on 47 and the full-back came off worst, needing lengthy treatment from Jamie Hewitt. The corner produced a pin-ball session in the Chesterfield box that saw Griffiths clear off the line before the ball was eventually cleared.

Adam Le Fondre gave Rotherham the lead on 53 by lobbing the ball over Lee from the edge of the box, after receiving a throw from Mullins. A deflected Hunt cross on 56 was well dealt-with by Warrington. Mullins broke and crossed but Pope was not able to prevent it going straight across the goal.

Lester was replaced by Dan Gray on 63. Chesterfield went three up front with Gray in midfield in an effort to test Rotherham. Talbot flicked on to Morgan on 67 but Warrington pulled out a top save to prevent the equaliser. Griffiths won a corner from an offside-looking position on 68 but the ball was cleared by Cresswell. A long ball towards Le Fondre was cleared for a corner to Rotherham on 71. Morgan worked hard to win a corner which was played short, but no-one attacked the cross when it came in.

Cresswell was booked for a handball on the corner of the area after 77 minutes. Whitaker played the ball to Morgan and his fierce drive was parried away for a corner. Cresswell headed a free kick out for another Chesterfield corner on 80, and another Chesterfield corner produced the nearest we'd seen to panic in the Rotherham rearguard. There were shouts for hands in the Millers box as the visitors pressed; Warrington kept Rotherham in the lead as Chesterfield won another corner, which Ford headed over.

Rotherham replaced Harrison with Bradley after 83 minutes. Ford got a head to a Hunt cross but his effort went over. Rotherham won a corner with three minutes left. Gray was involved in winning a corner in stoppage time and it was played to Whitaker, but his floating effort was far too high to trouble the Rotherham goal. Le Fondre's late shot was charged down for a corner as the referee blew the whistle to end the game.

    Latest Match Reports