Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Sep 10 at 17:32 PM

Spireites 3 Robins 0

Chesterfield made one change to the starting line-up for the visit of Cheltenham Town to the B2net Stadium this afternoon, bringing Jack Lester back in for Jordan Bowery.

Both sides began the game at a keen pace. Chesterfield fashioned the first chance when Talbot arrived late to meet Davies's cross but guided his header over the bar from around ten yards out.Morgan's attempted cross was blocked for the game's first corner on 6; Whitaker took it short but Lester was penalised for a foul on Thomas as both players came for the short ball. Morgan took a pass from Allott and beat four before shooting into the chest of Brown, in the Robins' goal.

DREW TALBOT gave Chesterfield the lead with his first goal of the season on 13 with a powerful shot from distance to surprise Brown. It was a goal of his own making, taking a short pass and making his own room for the shot.

The Robins came back from going a goal down and a cross made it to the centre of the home goal; the ball surprised Smikle, hit Whitaker and cannoned back towards Lee, who had the alertness to catch at the near post. They had the ball in the net on 18 but a linesman's flag went up during an interchange of passes and the goal was disallowed for offside.

Cheltenham won their first corner after the ball was headed out from in front of Elliott, and the tall defender had two more half-chances in the same phase of attacks, both with his head. Lee stuck out a foot to deny and equaliser and it took an Allott welly to clear the danger on 27 after the visitors' most concerted spell of pressure so far. After that, though, the Robins' influence lessened.

Morgan took the ball past the fullback and into the box on 30 and won a corner. Brown came to catch a cross but tripped on the way and was given a free kick, despite their apparently being no Spireite within a couple of yards of him.

Morgan took a ball from Davies on 33 and drove it at the foot of the keeper's right-hand post; it shot across the goal line and away. At the other end Pack was given time by a shy defence

Thomas shot narrowly wide after taking a pass from Jeffers.

There was great excitement in the Cheltenham goalmouth on 39 when Allott had two powerful shots charged down within seconds of each other and Whitaker fired the rebound at the bar; Talbot put that rebound over.

Jeffers won a corner off Ford on 44 but Griffiths headed the driven cross away from the centre of the penalty area. Lester's shot was charged down by Gallinor in stoppage time.

Halftime: Spireites 1 Robins 0.

Attendance: 5503 (226 from Cheltenham.)

Chesterfield exploited room down their right on 48 to extend their lead. Talbot drew the fullback and crossed; Lester tried to connect but it came through to CRAIG DAVIES, who crashed a shot into the Karen Child end goal from around eight yards out. A fine passing break from the home goal to the other end brought Chesterfield a corner but the ball was cut out and cleared.

The Robins replaced Jeffers with Golding on 53, abandoning their midfield diamond for a straight four. Morgan was working hard and won a corner on 56; Elliott headed Whitaker's kick away. Morgan took the ball to the edge of the box and attempted a drifting chip which Brown held at the second attempt. Melligan took a Cheltenham corner on the hour and another resulted on the opposite side; Chesterfield were resolute, although a third corner resulted.

Davies shot a yard over after Griffiths broke down the left on 62. Chesterfield sealed the win on 65 with a magnificent goal through CRAIG DAVIES, who took the ball past a man and to some thirty yards out before crashing the ball past Brown and into the Cheltenham net.

Lester worked an opportunity that was blocked on 71 and the rebound came to Whitaker, who fired against the bar for the second time in the game. Derek Niven replaced Drew Talbot on 73. Morgan took a clearance from a corner and drove the ball just wide after 75.

Cheltenham replaced Thomas with Bird on 82, while Scott Boden came on for Jack Lester at the same time.

Craig Clay made a debut on 84, replacing Mark Allott. The young man survived the visitors' optimistic handball claims from his first touch to clear neatly to Griffiths from the middle of his own penalty area. Cheltenham brought Lewis on for Melligan in the last minute of normal time. Davies found Niven with a good ball that opened up the visitors' right-hand side but Derek chose the central route and saw Brown dive to save the shot. In stoppage time Davies saw Brown tip his fierce shot over, denying the Spireites Player man of the match a deserved hat-trick.

Here are the stats, then: This home win was our fourth on the bounce from the start of a season, emulating the 1984-5 season's championship-winning side. The record for games won at home from a season's start is seven, in 1933-4. The side's unbeaten run in home and away games from the season's start stands at seven, and equals the club record.

    Latest Match Reports