Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 11 Sep 10 at 17:07 PM

Shrimps 1 Spireites 1

Jack Lester was missing from the Chesterfield line-up for the visit to Morecambe, Jordan Bowery being selected to start in his place. Rob Page returned as far as the bench after recent Achilles troubles.

Duffy passed Griffiths to cross on 3 but Hunt was cool at the back post, heading out for a corner, which was comfortably dealt with. The opening ten had a "Show us what you've got" look to it from a Chesterfield point of view, with competent soaking up of Morecambe's play punctuated by an occasional foray up the home team's end, usually towards the keen running of Bowery.

Fleming shot over the Spireites bar on 12 after a quick throw. Chesterfield won a corner that they played quickly on 15, but Morgan was penalised for a foul as Whitaker's kick found him. Whitaker shot from distance on 17 as Chesterfield began to show more, and his effort flew narrowly wide of Roche's post.

Whitaker got the ball from Morgan on 22 and advanced through the middle to strike the ball well, but Haining got in with a block.

Scott Brown gave Morecambe the lead on 26, firing past Lee after taking a flick-on from Drummond. Morgan got the ball into Bowery as Chesterfield looked for an equaliser but his header came down just the wrong side of the post. Morecambe won another corner as the game opened up and their confidence improved; Chesterfield managed to clear but didn't look secure in doing so.

Morecambe were given a free kick in Spireite territory on 41. Fords got in from of Mullin and headed clear. The ball was returned and McCready ran through an unattentative defence to head narrowly wide. Chesterfield won a free kick close to Morecambe's penalty area, and central, on 43. Davies struck it but the ball was blocked.

Mattis challenged Duffy close to the Chesterfield penalty area to end a strong run by the Shrimp and conceded a free kick, earning a yellow card. Haining shot wide from the free kick.

Halftime: Spireites 0 Shrimps 1

Craig Davies showed some much-needed purpose in the first minute of the half, forcing Roche into a rare save. Chesterfield seemed to have received a rocket at halftime and pushed their hosts far harder in the first five minutes of the second half than they had at any point in the first period.

Hunt found his name in the book after going in late on Brown on 57. Derek Niven came on for Jordan Bowery before the free kick was taken; Morgan went up front and Whitaker went wide left.

Niven's introduction saw the Spireites win more of the ball in midfield, but they continued to struggle to use it constructively. Mark Allott brought Shuker down on 65 and was booked.

The on-loan James Spencer replaced the industrious Shuker on 68. Ford had the vision to be in the right place at the right time, clearing off the line on 69 to stop Drummond's header after Lee appeared to be fouled. Chesterfield brought Boden on for Talbot on 70, moving Morgan back to wide right. Niven got forward but shot over from Whitaker's pass on 71.

Morecambe began to assert more pressure as the game entered the last fifteen; Drummond looked certain to score from a corner but Lee came up with a fine save to deny him. Boden got through onto a Whitaker pass but put the ball wide when presented with a good chance. Davies forced Roche into a save on 78.

Chesterfield's pressure paid off with eight minutes left. SCOTT BODEN got the finishing touch after Davies was denied by Roche; Morgan supplied the return and Boden buried it to equalise the scores.

Scott replaced Brown on 83. Duffy pulled the ball back to Spencer on 89 but Ford came from nowhere to deny the Morecambe man. Hunt conceded a free kick 35 yards out but Duffy's attempt was poor, and sailed well wide.

    Latest Match Reports