Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Sep 10 at 17:31 PM

Spireites 2 Imps 1

Chesterfield brought Danny Whitaker and Jack Lester back to their starting eleven for their visit of Lincoln City to the B2net Stadium this afternoon. Derek Niven and Jordan Bowery were the ones to miss out after the tidy win at Walsall in midweek. Dwayne Mattis continued in central defence, with the fit-again Ian Breckin coming back as far as the substitutes' bench.

Hunt charged down a Facey cross on 3 for the game's first corner. Facey got up to Clapham's flag kick but his header merely helped the ball across the area. Ford lost a high ball in the air and it bounced to Hutchinson, whose shot was saved by Lee at the expense of a corner on 8. Griffiths fired a cross into the side netting and Lincoln came back up to win their third corner; Facey again got up to the kick and put a header wide of Lee's left-hand post.

Davies broke on 12 but seemed to be in two minds; his ball across the box went between the goal and Jack Lester, without looking like troubling either. Whitaker exchanged passes with Davies and shot wide on 15, as Chesterfield mounted their best piece of play so far. Allot shot from around 25 on 17 but found Whitaker going for the same ball, and the two put eachother off.

Chesterfield began to take charge of the game and Pearce had to stretch to cut out a Davies cross on 19. The same defender's challenge on Lester three minutes later left the Spireites frontman struggling, momentarily. Green's foul on Morgan on 33 allowed Griffiths to cross and Davies got up for a header, but his touch was a little slight and the ball went a couple of yards wide. The Spireites won their first corner on 35 and Whitaker worked it short; Morgan crossed powerfully and DWAYNE MATTIS came in late to glance a header in from around the penalty spot to give Chesterfield the lead.

With a minute of the first half left, Hughton had a shot deflected wide for a corner despite being preoccupied with having a good old moan at the linesman. Facey headed the kick over. The Imps pressed and won a corner in stoppage time and Allot was forced to block a couple of yards out.

Halftime: Spireites 1 Imps 0. Attendance: 6429. (688 from Lincoln)

Ian Pearce appeared to have brought Davies down inside the penalty area by some distance, or so it seemed, but a free kick on the edge of the box was the Spireites' only consolation. Morgan's free kick was blocked for a corner but it was taken too long. The Spireites had made an energetic and determined start to the second period. Chesterfield had the ball in the net again on 55 but the ball had gone out before Hunt's cross came over to Morgan, who nevertheless put the ball away with some style. Morgan crossed on 56 and Talbot rose to head powerfully goalwards, but the ball struck Anderson and was cleared.

Andrew Hutchinson replaced Delroy Facey on 57. Talbot did very well to cross on 58 but Lester was well marshalled by Green and couldn't quite stretch at the back post to prod home. Green had to throw himself at Lester to prevent Jack finishing when he turned in space.

Lester turned away from his man on 62 and looked forward, weighing a pass beautifully into the path of CRAIG DAVIES, who slotted the ball powerfully past Anyon to double the Spireites' lead. Lincoln had an early chance to come back but Ford came in with a saving block.

Anderson hacked a backpass hopelessly out for a corner on 68 Keltie left Allott in a heap on 70 but the challenge had a 50-50 look to it. Jordan Bowery replaced Lester as the game resumed. Bowery did well to keep the ball in on the Lincoln goal line and the ball came to Whitaker, whose shot was saved; Anyon knew less about his save from Bowery's narrow-angle shot on 77.

Derek Niven replaced Davies on 77 and O'Keefe replaced Keltie for Lincoln.

Ian Pearce, who had managed nothing of note since moving into the forward line after an hour or so, came petulantly late through Hunt by the dug-outs on 81 and was yellow-carded. Allott was again the target of "special tackling" from the Lincoln team, with O'Keefe being yellow-carded for this one on 85. Pearce was replaced on 86 to a lusty chorus of abuse from a fully committed West Stand crowd; curiously, he had stood by the touchline, waiting to be subbed for perhaps a couple of minutes, while his team-mates struggled on without him.

Restored to eleven committed men, Lincoln pulled one back through Ben Hutchinson from close range on 88 with the Chesterfield defence appealing for a foul. Lincoln put men forward and won two corners as the game entered stoppage time, but it would have been a travesty had they fashioned an equaliser. Breckin came on for Morgan as the Spireites kept Lincoln at bay.

    Latest Match Reports