Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 at 16:54 PM

Silkmen 1 Spireites 1

Chesterfield made one change for the visit to Macclesfield Town, bringing Craig Davies back after suspension. Dean Morgan dropped to the bench. The Spireites took to the field in their newly-launched white shirts but were forced to wear red shorts by the referee.

Matt Hamshaw had an early chance with a direct free kick from a threatening position but fired over the bar. Allott had the game's first shot on target after seven minutes following good work by Davies, but Veiga was equal to the effort.

The game's first corner went to the visitors after good work between Allott, Mattis and Lester on 14. Whitaker took the kick but the ball was headed away; Allott returned and Whitaker shot but got under it with his left foot and the keeper was able to save in comfort.

Griffiths helped fashion the best chance of the game so far on 17, finding Lester with a deep cross, but Jack couldn't quite bring the ball down and picked up a knock in trying. Tremarco came off worst in a challenge with Talbot on 22. Lee made his first save halfway through the half, from the head of Barnett.

Veiga came for the ball on the half hour but failed to catch; Talbot returned the ball but a Macc defender came back to spare his keeper's blushes. Whitaker took the ball forward and put an angled shot wide as Davies waited in space.

Griffiths got back well to deny Barnett a shot after the forward had outstripped Ian Breckin on 34.

Dwayne Mattis was booked after fouling Draper on 40. Hamshaw shot after he was put through past a static defence but Lee pulled off a fine save; Daniel went down rather too easily to look for a penalty but the referee was not impressed. Macc finished the half the stronger but Mattis broke through in the last minute of normal time, forcing Morgan to play the ball back to Veiga with his knee. Macc won a corner in stoppage time; Sinclair took it short and Hamshaw headed but Lee cleared.

Halftime: 0-0.

Macc won a corner within seconds of the kick-off but Whitaker countered, and a tiley tackle came to prevent his getting into the danger area. Boland got back to rob Mattis as he was about to connect with a Lester pass on 51.

With 55 on the clock John Sheridan attempted to shake up a slightly lacklustre Spireites team performance with a substitution, bringing Morgan on for Lester. All ten outfield players were now John Sheridan signings! Sinclair should have done better on the hour after breaking into the box but he blazed over, offering Chesterfield a significant let-off. Morgan broke through down the left on 62 and shot goalwards, but picked out the static keeper.

Craig Davies v Macclesfield Town

The substitution saw Chesterfield take hold of the game with more purpose and take the lead on 65. Whitaker had a chance from Talbot's good work but couldn't convert, seeing his effort blocked; CRAIG DAVIES was on hand, though, to drill the ball into the Macc net from close range.

Morgan won a corner on 71 after being wrestled in the box by Nat Brown. Whitaker's first delivery was poor and his return wasn't a lot better, but Talbot got the ball down and fired a left-footed shot that the keeper nearly spilled into Morgan's path.

From nowhere Macclesfield equalised on 73 when Tremarco found Sinclair, who slotted the ball past Lee with ease.

Veiga stretched out a hand to prevent Davies getting on to a Morgan cross on 78. Whitaker took a free kick from the left and it came to Allott some 30 yards out, but his drive was blocked. Morgan tur4ned and shot narrowly over on 84.

Talbot was left in a heap by a Tremarco foul just outside the box on 85. Whitaker took it and a blue shirt headed clear as Ford came in.Chesterfield probably finished more strongly overall, and Macc pressed with a corner in stoppage time but neither side could find the advantage before the final whistle came. At the death, Davies was booked for kicking the ball away.

    Latest Match Reports